Nothing Much Today


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Northwest » Borgarnes
July 16th 2023
Published: July 17th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Today was meant to be an early start but that crashed and burned. Rang the kids while eating breakfast and chatted for a while.

Finally got away after deciding which way to go considering the wind forecast. Put some fuel in to keep us safe and headed for the Snaefellsnes peninsula.

Road took us onto a gravel road again. No real dramas but lots of new bitumen road being built along with bridges. This meant some slow patches but all in all good moving.

Today we had lots of good scenery, plenty of waterfalls in the hills as well as snow not far away in some parts.

Lots of cars stopped so we stopped. Great views of a big town across the water. A medium sized fishing boat wrecked on the rocks in front of us and really pretty mountains in the background.

Kept moving and came across more cars and a nice waterfall. Time to stop and walk this time. Waterfall is called Kirkjufellsfoss. Across the road was an interesting hill with people climbing up to half way - needed to be a Billy goat to go any further.

Found a really pretty church which was built in 1847. In the background was a glacial mountain that could almost double as Mt Fuji.

Moved on and started heading back towards Reykjavik (Borganes was our target for the night). Winds had picked up so we were watching those and being buffeted along the road again.

Made it to Borganes but the campsite was a shocker so we are going to move on.

Stopped for a drink and something to eat. Really nice old building with a cafe/restaurant. Cake and drinks ordered. Asked our waiter about the road south and winds. He gave us some really good advice and alternative places to stay.

Drove to the start of the hills where they have a board showing wind strengths. Too strong for us at this stage. Last night and I don’t really want to tip the van over.

Back to the restaurant for tea - which was really yummy, then off to our new campsite. Pretty little site at the foot of the mountains.

Packed the cases as we drop the van back tomorrow and move into a hotel for 2 nights before leaving Iceland.

Time for bed now.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.333s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1011s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb