Boppard


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Boppard
August 24th 2014
Published: August 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We spend a few days at Boppard a lovely little place at the Rhine. We were here before and fell in love with the place. So much to see around here and having a hotel room with a balcony overlooking the river topped it of. Only problem is parking. You have to fight to secure a place. We were lucky to find a park in front of the hotel. The first day we did sight seeing around the place. Not much had changed apart from the wares the shops were selling. Time enough to look at that later. Late afternoon we sit down to look at the traffic on the Rhine with a glass of wine and a few nuts. Absolute marvellous. Plans are made for the next day and that was a visit to Braubach. Of course that meant we would lose our park for we had to use the car. The Ferry would take us to the other side of the Rhine where we would find Marksburg, the only castle that was never destroyed. Amazing. Parked the car and found the path that would take us to the Castle. Lots of climbing over very uneven grounds. Those castles seem to be always on top of mountains with impossible tracks, high steps and boulders that obstruct an easy walk. But we managed to arrive at this awesome castle build around the 12th century. After obtaining tickets to grant entrée, we had to wait for a guide, on your own was out of the question. The guide gave us a nice tour of the castle, explain how the people in those years were able to live there. It took a couple of hours than we were taking the same unbelievable track back to the village. That deserved a piece of cake and coffee. Back at Boppard we had to find a new park, pity we lost ours but later that evening we managed to get it back. On the last day in Boppard we had a visit from Sonja and Jorg who were over from Saarland for a concert. They are family from Liz. We had breakfast together. It was suggested that they were entertaining us for part of the day. We were taken to the two castles, called Sterrenberg and Liebenstein. Much easier for we were taken by car and there was no climbing apart from the stairs inside the walls, to have a beautiful view on the Rhine. We said good bye to Sonja and Jorg early afternoon. We took the ferry back to Boppard where we caught the boat to see the lorrelei and St Goar. By late afternoon we returned to Boppard having enjoyed a beautiful day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 104, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb