Germany Take 1: Bremen & Hamburg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bremen » Bremen
April 28th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Dinner on Our First Night in GermanyDinner on Our First Night in GermanyDinner on Our First Night in Germany

At our campground's restaurant, overlooking a beautiful lake.
Our train trip to Germany wasn't the best experience. Our train from Holland was delayed for about an hour after a broken down goods train was blocking the tracks, which meant we missed our connecting train to Bremen. After we arrived late in Bremen, the camp ground was about an hours walk from the tram stop our Lonely Planet Guide advised us to get off at. We were extra annoyed when we later found out there was a bus that stopped right outside the campsite. Luckily we made it there before the reception closed, and after taking off our heavy bags and setting up, we enjoyed a great meal in a superb lakeside setting.

We spent the following 2 days exploring the beautiful city of Bremen. In the centre were beautiful old buildings and streets. The suburbs were just as nice though, with lovely tree lined streets. This was quite a contrast to other european cities we had visited which were often quite bare with a real lack of greenery.

On our 3rd day, we took the train to Hamburg for a day trip. Taking a tour bus around the city, we were able to see both the centre
Sampling Some Local BrewSampling Some Local BrewSampling Some Local Brew

Anywhere else this would be an expensive imported beer. Here it was just expensive!
of the city, and some of the beautiful inner suburbs.

Both Bremen and Hamburg were really beautiful places. Much nicer than we had expected, prior to arriving. It would have been nice to stay longer and see more, but we wanted to keep to our schedule, so after just 3 nights, we packed up and took the train/ferry to Copenhagen.


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Pretty Much in the Centre of BremenPretty Much in the Centre of Bremen
Pretty Much in the Centre of Bremen

You wouldn't know it though.
Universum Science CenterUniversum Science Center
Universum Science Center

Bremen's modern side
Bremen Hauptbahnhof (Train Station)Bremen Hauptbahnhof (Train Station)
Bremen Hauptbahnhof (Train Station)

From bremen, we took a day trip to Hamburg.
With Huge HousesWith Huge Houses
With Huge Houses

We wished we lived here!
The Huge RathausThe Huge Rathaus
The Huge Rathaus

This was too big to get in a single photo!


Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb