The Netherlands. You'll Nether Nether Know if You Nether Nether Go!


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
April 25th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It had been planned that we stay with Alicia's family in the Netherlands for 8 nights. We slept at Diny's house and spent most days with Tante Ali and Oom Joost. Tante Ali and Oom Joost are Alicia's dad's auntie and uncle and Diny is their daughter, which makes her Alicia's dad's cousin. And following on from the equation, this makes Diny Alicia's 2nd cousin (which you probably could have worked out for yourself!). Diny has 2 children - Alice and Wim. Alice is about a year younger than us and was away at university for most of our stay with them, but we eventually got to meet her the weekend before we left for Bremen. Wim, however was at home for our entire stay. He is 17 years old and could speak very good english (as could the whole family) which was lucky for us.
It was very kind of them to have us stay, as we had never actually met them before.
Tante Ali and Oom Joost took us on a tour around their home provence and Diny came along on occasion.We also spent time with Alice and Wim when we went to see a movie with them and to watch a soccer match.
We spent 1 day at the Keukenhof, which is a dutch tulip festival, and another day exploring Amsterdam.
It was lovely for Alicia to get to know her extended international family and to get a taste of 'real' dutch life.


Additional photos below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Market DayMarket Day
Market Day

In Middleburg
Just Like English... Well Close Enough!Just Like English... Well Close Enough!
Just Like English... Well Close Enough!

Sign on a train we took from Rotterdam to Middleburg where we stayed with Alicia's family.
Breakfast Dutch StyleBreakfast Dutch Style
Breakfast Dutch Style

Josh could't believe they ate chocolate sprinkles for breakfast!
Bikes Galore!Bikes Galore!
Bikes Galore!

Everyone rides everywhere in The Netherlands
Traffic JamTraffic Jam
Traffic Jam

On the way home from buying soccer tickets.
WindmillWindmill
Windmill

The first sighting of many!
Alicia's Mum Karen in the 80's!Alicia's Mum Karen in the 80's!
Alicia's Mum Karen in the 80's!

We raided Tante Ali's photo albums from when she visited Australia and found Alicia's family. (Sorry Mum, I know you will kill me for this!)
And Look... It's Alicia's Dad (from the 80's obviously)And Look... It's Alicia's Dad (from the 80's obviously)
And Look... It's Alicia's Dad (from the 80's obviously)

Check out those shades - they have come back into fashion! Who would have thought?!
Josh Playing a Traditional Dutch GameJosh Playing a Traditional Dutch Game
Josh Playing a Traditional Dutch Game

He found it most enjoyable.
Alicia's TurnAlicia's Turn
Alicia's Turn

She took a more serious approach.
However, the Seriousness Didn't Pay Off!However, the Seriousness Didn't Pay Off!
However, the Seriousness Didn't Pay Off!

Josh won that round...beginners luck!
Check Out All of That Cheese!Check Out All of That Cheese!
Check Out All of That Cheese!

At the market in Middelburg town square.


Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0632s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb