Historical Berlin


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
June 15th 2014
Published: July 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today in Berlin I decided to take the day to get to explore a small portion of the Historical part of Berlin. Around 10:30am I went to Alexander Platz and joined in a bicycle tour that took us to several historical landmarks that Berlin has to offer- The Berlin Wall (East Side Gallery) and The Soviet War Memorial located in the Treptow district of Berlin. Seeing the height of the wall made me wonder as to how people would attempt to jump over the wall and it made me realize that those who did cross, risked their life and imprisonment. Scenic views such as these are great places to spend the day admiring the past and and realizing the mass change that has occurred in the past decades. The Soviet War Memorial was a really breathtaking and serene place to be; with its nicely cut grass and beautiful statues. Visiting these places in Berlin was really an amazing experience; just to know that I was walking the same streets as those who suffered the war was really mesmerizing. Although visiting these places was a unforgettable experience, I did notice that Germans do not live their everyday lives thinking about the Holocaust, it is the tourist that come to Germany that reminisce the past. Germany has evolved into a great nation and has moved on from the past and is a great tourist destination not only for its past now but also for its present.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb