Berlin stopover


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
June 30th 2012
Published: August 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

June 30 - Getting there

Jeoren and I had a hectic start to the day, inevitable in any trip I take. We finished packing and saying good bye to the cats, wondered if they would be ok in our hot apartment and whether or not the cat sitter really had agreed to watch them for this trip. Luckily she called us back just as we were leaving. I made a last minute shoe decision – years of travel and I still can never decide on footwear or clothing – and we were off for the tram. Then the train. Then another train. Then we checked in for our flight. Check in and security were quick this time, so we had a couple of hours to sit around Zurich airport and eat our prepared lunches and window shop in the duty free.

After a short flight, we found ourselves in Berlin airport, looking for Dave, a childhood friend of Jeroen's, and his wife Bo. Fortunately, the airport is old and tiny (they are building a new one) so it was easy to find them. They took us for a private driving tour of the city and then into the biggest department store I have ever seen, including Japan, which says a lot. We strolled around the food floor and I saw American foods I can't find in Switzerland. Then we ate some traditional German sausages. Our last stop in Berlin was for bubble tea, always a delicious treat. And a nice reminder of times with my friend Alfred, who I will always miss.

Dave and Bo took us back to the airport about two hours before our flight, and then we realized there was very little to do there, so we all looked in some shops and then sat and chatted at Starbucks until it was time for us to go to the gate. It was nice to meet them, and really nice to spend such a long layover with friends.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb