Deutsch English Book?


Advertisement
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
August 8th 2008
Published: August 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I made it! Yes, thats right, the girl who got lost in Carlsbad last week, even though she's lived in San Diego her whole life, managed to make it, not just half way around the world, but across a country in which she doesn't speak the language and navigate a foreign city. Aren't you proud of me? As you may be able to tell, I have officially made it to Berlin, after a 10 hr flight from LAX to Fran... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Ghost StationGhost Station
Ghost Station

Sign in a U-Baun station, which is running today, but when Berlin was split was a ghost station. West Berlin paid east Berlin in order to be able to keep the public transit system running, but on the east side all the stations were bricked closed and patrolled by armed guards. Needless to say, the trains did not stop at these "ghost stations."
HotelHotel
Hotel

So remember that little blurb in the news a few years back about how a rock star held his baby out of a window? Ya, that happened here.
Jewish MemorialJewish Memorial
Jewish Memorial

Memorial to the Jews who died in Europe during the Holocaust. It was a very controversial project.
Jewish MemorialJewish Memorial
Jewish Memorial

Apartments seen from inside the memorial site.
Hitler's BunkerHitler's Bunker
Hitler's Bunker

Underneath this parking lot the most infamous man in history killed himself.
Donation BinDonation Bin
Donation Bin

A clothing and shoe donation bin (kind of the German good will) on top of Hitler's bunker...
Happy SocialismHappy Socialism
Happy Socialism

This is a mural on a building which was towards the edge of east Berlin, depicting the apparently happy east Berliners. The socialist government was very surprised when shortly after this was completed, there was a labor uprising...
Berlin WallBerlin Wall
Berlin Wall

The longest section of the Berlin wall still standing in the city.



8th August 2008

Oh Veronica..I am glad to hear you have made it to Berlin alright. And you managed to find a hotel, I'm impressed! I keep getting very sad everytime I read your's and Bethany's travel blogs, and I keep telling myself I will see you guys in January. But I got a webcam, and a skype account! So we should def talk when you have time. And you never called me before you left, loser. I hope you find/have found Bethany ok.
9th August 2008

This seriously reminds me of us in London (and Rome) and I can only imagine how much funnier (or worse) it must be trying to figure out the German. Although I am sure the situation will get better once Bethany joins you. I hope you have a good time in Berlin! Say hi to Bethany for me! :)
9th August 2008

Hi!
Yay! You're in Germany! We will be there tonight by 10 at the latest. Our bus gets in at nine. Be careful with those German men! They can be scary! And I can be your Deutsch-English book. :)
9th August 2008

Goofball
hahahahaha.....for what you lack in 'thinking ahead,' you do have some common sense....amazing how far that can take you! Way to go, V!!! Any chance you'll get to Karlsruhe? Thats where Inge's from?
10th August 2008

Thanks for posting! I love hearing from home :). I've decided that Berlin is very ironic, and thanks for the suggestion about the movie...I've heard about it, but still haven't seen it. I'm not sure where exactly I'm going yet (again with the lack of planning ahead :)) but I'll keep Karlsruhe in mind! It all depends on how much money I have...sigh. Anyway, its great to hear from you, and I hope all is well at home! Say hi to Tele for me :)
10th August 2008

hunbun, you've been in germany for over 24 hrs, why aren't you out getting raucously drunk on good german beer yet??
24th August 2008

hello and have a nice time
hi vicky have fun and ty for the nice pictures to see =)

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0756s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb