Whoop whoop, and we're in Berlin!


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
March 21st 2007
Published: March 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

After a brief train ride from Hamburg, we arrived in Berlin all smiles and joy, and made our way to easily the best hostel we've been in so far, called the Heart of Gold, and entirely (to a slightly worrying extent) based on Hitchiker's guide to the galaxy.

We've done some sight-seeing, and like the last time I was in Berlin, the feeling of being in a place with very... recent history impressed itself upon me.

The Holocaust Memorial, The Book-burning square, the wall, all have a very powerful effect which I've never found elsewhere, where the history isn't just in the past, its still affecting the present as well.

We've done some awesome non-sight seeing stuff as well - went to see LCD Soundsystem do a gig in a club, which was fantastic, easily the best moment so far. The support act, called 'planning to Rock' was equally interesting. One woman, a selection of strange masks, some seriously bad electronica music and a pretentious modern art, wanky, projection show combined to give the feeling I was trapped in a strange world. The amount of people there who'd come just to see her scared me slightly as well.

Today, we went to a museum (see, not just drinking!) with some amazing stuff in it, and with proper, gap-year, got little money, panache, joined a school group to get in for free. I get the feeling the italian girls were clearly impressed with our British flair for smoothness. Alhough I felt bad, because the security guard we duped had easily the best handle-bar moustache I've ever seen in real life.

Tonight, we're going on a pub crawl, probabley with some nice Northern Irelanders we've met.

Thats all for now, Dave


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Escaping the museum..Escaping the museum..
Escaping the museum..

Are we being watched?!
Apparently, they do things differently here...Apparently, they do things differently here...
Apparently, they do things differently here...

Easily the worst example of European parking yet...


21st March 2007

sweet, how did you end up seeing LCD? planned or just turned up. I miss you my smoking compadre, the quality of air in widcombe has increased significantly since your departure, laterz hater

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb