Oktoberfest and Volksfest


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
October 2nd 2009
Published: October 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

1. Destination Oktoberfest…..The big one that everyone has been waiting for. Arriving in Munich via a bus from Stuggart and a plane from London we were pretty beat and it was getting late. We headed for a quick orientation of the city with our mate Tim at the helm. We travelled the known city streets as well as some low keys ones aswell before ducking into a Japanese restaurant for tea. It was an early night tonight as tomorrow held a massive drinking session that was to last over the 11 hour session on the steins. We were up and at the Beer Gardens bright and early at 8.30 in the morning ready for the tents to open. We were lucky enough to have connections on the inside of the Lowenbrau tent in one of the wenches that managed to sneak us in 5 minutes before the doors opened and it was into our first steins when the clock struck 9. Ahhhh now this is what im talking about. We watched as the doors opened and a sea of bodies began to consume the tent and snap up all and any seats they could find space on. The festivities had began. Jen not a massive beer drinker opted for the more lady like beverage of a stein of Radler, Whilst Andy had no hesitation in downing the local steins lemonade free. It was about 2 in the afternoon when we decided we would venture out and see what the world outside 1 tent had to offer. We messaged a couple of our friends in Laura and Kelly that we had met on our Greece tour. We met at an outside beer garden to which the name I cant remember and downed a couple more steins before heading into the Nympho tent (the wine tent), just to mix it up a bit and give Jen a chance to catch up…..to which she wasted no time hehe. A few bottles of the Wine and a dance or two later we headed back into the Lowenbrau to catch up with our crew and keep the good times rolling…It was “Prost” (cheers) all round as we smashed our massive glasses together and got up on the tables for so hard yakka dancing and beer juggling/spilling/drinking shenanigans. As then tents were drawing to a close and the beer was stopped being served we made our way drunkenly home for a good nights sleep.

It was up early with some weary heads bright and early the next morning for a day trip out to the Neuchwanstein Castle (The one Disney is based on). It was nearly 3 hours out of Munich in a beautiful country side setting. There were amazing lakes and castles throughout the region. The weather was beautiful and fresh and the castle itself was amazing perched up on a cliff face. After a lovely chilled afternoon in the country it was back into the fest for some more drinking and some fun on the rides. This place really is amazing and has to be seen to be believed. The next morning it was on the bus and back to Stuttgart for the more local and 2nd biggest beer festival in the world….Volksfest. As good as Oktoberfest was this place managed to go one better. There wasn’t the uncomfortable crowdedness, the wenches and patrons were friendlier and the atmosphere is the tents were electric. With entry we were given a token for 2 free steins and a half of chicken just to loosen us up. Then Jen found the Schnapps bar and things just went from mad to crazy….These alcoholic concoctions are lethal and it certainly proved the better of poor old Andy after 9 of the bastards. We did however, manage to board about 4 of the biggest rides at the event which just made things more blurry. It was a lazy day spent in the city amongst beautiful gardens the next day until it was time to head back to the airport for our flight back to London for the night. To say we were boozed out is an understatement, but the fun and experience we shared was amazing. No rest for the wicked though as tomorrow we arrive in Amsterdam!!!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



21st October 2009

=)
Wow! Serious Beer Drinking....wait 'til ya hit Amsterdam!!

Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb