Munichians know how to throw a party!


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
September 28th 2008
Published: December 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yes Dad, Beerfest is about throwing your money away, and for some of us up, but you don't think I'd pass up the opportunity to take part in one of the most anticipated events on the drinking calendar, do you?! And before you ask, it's not just a nirvana for alcoholic Antipodeans. Beerfest is like a small city that's as much a family occasion as it is a two-week drinking affair.

First timers are always surprised by the scale of the event. There's traditional costume ('motor-boat' dresses and leiderhosens), theme-park rides, amusement stalls, Bavarian food, and of course the beerhalls - where you can savour the delights of pork knuckles, half chickens, giant pretzels, snuff (to clear our discerning pallets) and most importantly, the many types of beer.

It's the second year Joel and I have headed to Munich for Oktoberfest, and I doubt it will be the last. Next time however, I think I'll do the sensible thing and opt to sitesee before I hit the beerhalls...

We travelled with two other groups - friends with connections to Joel at uni and us in Auckland, as well as the guys in Cat and Graham's circle of friends
Prost! ...Mandatory Sunday session in the HB tent!Prost! ...Mandatory Sunday session in the HB tent!Prost! ...Mandatory Sunday session in the HB tent!

Dalts and Gubbo get their groove on
from Hamilton. It was great to be able to move around the different tents and hang out with different people. We even managed to score adjoining tables at one stage, which is no mean feat.

Most nights we'd head back to the roof bar at our hostel to party on, so as you can imagine by the end of four days, our beaten bodies welcomed the chance to escape home, or down to Austria for some much-needed rehab!


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Re-hanging the hostel door in gruts, as you doRe-hanging the hostel door in gruts, as you do
Re-hanging the hostel door in gruts, as you do

(It was broken when we moved in, I swear!)


Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0173s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb