More eating!


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Schorndorf
August 21st 2005
Published: February 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Delicious Breakfast
Cake, coffee at 3PM
Delicious Dinner!

Raining again! Tour de Stuttgart has been postponed until further notice. But there will be plenty of food to eat. Breakfast call was at 8:30. Lots of meats, cheeses and spreads to be eaten on/with a variety of breads. Reimar’s parents are quite the busy ones in the kitchen making their own jams, paté and cheese! Once again, very well fed after breakfast!

Since it was raining we stayed in for the morning. I did a bit of reading and then Reimar’s dad, Ulrich comes over to me to show me the newspaper. What a coincidence in the travel section of the newspaper is an article on Vancouver!

Reimar and Ulrich taught me a German card game. It was a bit confusing at first but still it was fun. Reimar’s mum Heide soon joins us and Ulrich and I are a team and Reimar and Heide are a team. Playing in teams makes the game go much faster since the team that reaches 100 points first wins the game. It was a bit confusing to me since 7 was the low card. A, 10, K, O, U, 7 were highest
In  Ulrich's infamous garden.In  Ulrich's infamous garden.In Ulrich's infamous garden.

Ulrich, Heide, Bonnie, Reimar.
to lowest in rank. O = Queen but to make it more confusing the pictures on the card were of a guy! LOL. Guessing it is supposed to be a knight?

Sometime in the early afternoon the rains almost stopped so Reimar, Conny and I drove into Stuttgart which is about half an hour to 45 minutes away. Nice little drive.

Being Sunday, everything was closed but it was nice to see some of the buildings and do a little window shopping. It was great to get to walk around a bit. I’d say just about the only thing open were all the kebab and donner places. Near the end of our walking tour it started to rain…that really irritating misty rain.

So we drove back home and relaxed. I would have taken a nap but wanted to do a bit of reading…300 pages to go! About half an hour after getting back I see that it is nice and sunny outside! Doh!

Around 5PM Conny and I got a spätzle demonstration. Apparently spätzle translated into English means “little sparrow” but I don’t see the connection. Some describe spätzle as being tiny noodles or dumplings and the ingredients are simple…flour, eggs, sparkling water and salt. Ulrich is excellent in making these noodles by hand (with a wooden breadboard and what looks like a metal spatula) but some people make spätzle by forcing the soft dough through a sieve, colander or a spätzle-maker! The noodles actually taste quite good without sauce!

Soon enough dinner was ready. Giant ravioli (Moth Pockets?!?) the size of about 2.5” x 5” in a soup. Then we also had a tomato salad and marinated cucumbers as well and then more giant ravioli cut up and cooked up in eggs. This dish was equally as yummy.

For dessert we went out into the garden and picked some blackberries and I got a small tour of Ulrich’s garden. Tomatoes, zucchini, celery, lettuce and pumpkin to name a few things that are growing. Ulrich’s garden is really well kept and pretty large too. There was also a fish pond with lots of fish! Reimar and Conny brought back some seeds from South America to grow their own tea. Well, the “tea” turned out to be colourful flowers. They look great when dried out too.

It was soon time to say auf wiedersehn to Reimar’s parents. So we packed up the car and had a two hour drive back to Frankfurt. It’s funny. Reimar’s mum gives him and Conny so much food to bring back with them it is almost like we had gone grocery shopping!



Advertisement



2nd February 2006

Yeah - the summer of 2005 was a pretty rainy one...

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1146s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb