Split Croatia on the Adriatic Sea


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia
May 21st 2014
Published: May 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

The blog site for Split Croatia contains 26 photos.

Split Croatia is a city on the eastern shores of the Adriatic Sea and one of the oldest cities in the area. It is about 1700 years old but some historians date it back to 3rd century BC. The Roman Palace of the Emperor Diocletian was built around the early 4th century AD.

There were twelve sphinxes at the palace and were brought there after Diocletian had put down Egyptian rebellion in the late 4th century AD. Only one sphinix has survived while the rest were destroyed or thrown into the sea. The sphinx is made of black granite. We were told that it dated back to around the mid 15th century BC - the period of pharaoh Tuthmosis III. This sphinix has been here since the 4th century.

Much of our self tour of the area was on foot and mostly through the old city of Emperor Diocletian's Palace which now is occupied by small retail businesses. This palace was large because you could get lost within these walls as you walked around the area. The artifacts and architecture in this area was very interesting to view. It was hard to believe we were looking at things that were carved out in the 3rd century BC or older. We took about five hours to walk the area and that included a walk up to a park that overlooks the city and the bay. We also went to the city museum which was very interesting as well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Beer BreakBeer Break
Beer Break

Nice stop for food and drinks at one of the outside restaurants in the old town area of Split.


22nd May 2014

Again, I am learning so much. These are incredible photos!
23rd May 2014

hope you're having a wonderful time. It's beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I don't really ever comment, but I do take the time to look at the photos.
23rd May 2014

Split
Papa as you know boarded a boat in Split back across the Adriatic Sea to Italy to their base. Just to think you were there was awesome!

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0179s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb