Kotor, Montenegro


Advertisement
Europe » Montenegro » Kotor
May 21st 2014
Published: May 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

There are 35 photos in this blog for Kotor Montenegro. By the way, if you are enjoying the photos let us know as we enjoy hearing from everyone back home. :O)

This was a very pleasant surprise in our journey by boat around Italy. Actually one of our better stops!

We made it around the "Boot" of Italy and watched from not too far away the landscape of that area of Italy. Makes us want to venture back to this area as it look "less traveled" by the tourists. Anyway back to Kotor Montenegro. We pulled into the sunken river valley of Kotor Bay winding our way up the river several miles to the city which sits right on the bay. Kotor has a great mountainous backdrop, in fact the entire area did as we came up the river to the bay. So not to deviate from our plans, we again chose to do our on thing and not do one of the cruise bus/land tours. Kotor is a medieval city. From our internet research we knew this was a medieval city with walls and fortifications. The city protected by the bay on one side, the river on the other and the fortified walls low and higher up on the other two sides. We knew that there was a walk "climb" to a small church (Church of Our Lady Remedy) as you'll see in one or two photos below and then higher up some of the fortresses built in the 1400's.

So much of the day in Kotor was spent climbing to the top of the fortress area where we enjoyed some outstanding views of Kotor and Kotor Bay. Again the pictures give you some idea of how beautiful this area is but you really have to be there to see the overall landscape. Cameras and especially amateur photographers can only do so much. We discovered in our journey back down the mountain a large crowd at the half-way point enjoying the scenery but were either unable or unwilling to push onward to the top for the "outstanding vistas" that the extra work provides you.

We also toured the old city below for about 3 hours which is now occupied by small stores, businesses, living areas, etc. There were plenty of places to find a nice meal along with beer and wine. It was not hard to fill 8 or 9 hours of our time touring this area on foot. If we had more time, I believe we would have found our way in a small watercraft paddling around in Kotor Bay. Another time I suppose.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

View of Kotor BayView of Kotor Bay
View of Kotor Bay

Outstanding Vista of Kotor and Kotor Bay
Fortress Above the KotorFortress Above the Kotor
Fortress Above the Kotor

Path that leads to the fortress above.


22nd May 2014
View of Kotor Bay

Thank you for the extra effort it took to get to the top...
which produced this and other great pictures! We hope to visit Kotor someday, probably as a day trip while staying in Dubrovnik. We'll likely do Mostar the same way. And then take ferries from Dubrovnik all the way up the coast to Slovenia. Have a great time for the remainder of you cruise. You'll love Venice, but the best time to see it is the evenings.
22nd May 2014

Thanks for sharing
Larry & Rhea, thank you so much for the beautiful pictures and commentary of your travels. Like you, the scenery is lovely, but I am most awed by the antquitity of so many of the places you have visited. Miss you both.
22nd May 2014

Great
I do so appreciate the photos and the journal writing that y'all have done! So beautiful! Love that you are already planning what to see (or not) the NEXT time!

Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb