Paris-Brussels


Advertisement
Published: June 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Belgium WafflesBelgium WafflesBelgium Waffles

By far the best food I had on the whole continent. REAL Belgium waffles... nothing like the imitations in the States
We went out in the morning after a huge breakfast, and got the usual postcards and other necessities. We got a later ticket than we wanted on the super high speed train to Brussels, which left at 2:25. But it only took like an hour and twenty minutes so it was fine.

We had a beautiful trip, and we all rested and slept. As usual, we met about 10 othe Americans in our train car, and we talked about our trips and exchanged places to see and stay. We are like all part of a huge family, and its really nice to run into new people daily.

When we got to Brussels, the Metro was easy, as they all are now that we are world travelers. We found our hotel, checked-in, showered, and by 4 we met Heather's dad's friend for dinner in the lobby.

His name was Raf, and he was so nice and hospitable. He had great English, and we went down to the main market for drinks, then an AMAZING dinner, then some ice cream. We talked about Belgium, how small it was, and our plans for tomorrow. We saw the Old Town Square, the
Manekin PisManekin PisManekin Pis

A statue of a little kid peeing. And yet, this is the most famous thing in all of Brussels. Eat your hearts out EU and NATO
Manekin Pis (a little kid peeing statue), and the Atomium statue, which are the most famous sites of the city.

He also drove us around past the EU and NATo, the airport, the old World's Fair Place, and all around the city. It was an awesome tour of an awesome city. And it was nice to be back in a car for once. The city is really clean, and its pretty big, but I must admit one thing:

PARIS WAS AMAZING. It may not be my top 3, but it was much more than I expected. Maybe its because of my bias of the French, but I did not expect much. I must apologize, because France, and the Effiel Tower especially, exceeded all expectations. Its one of those things you are hyped to see, expect a letdown (like Rome), but it wasn't. Anyways, its off to bed for another long day tomorrow. Sorry I haven't emailed, internet is few and far between. Hope this keeps everyone up to date, and hopefully I'll email soon.

ONE DAY till the World Cup and man am I excited. Its all anyone talks about here, and I am so ready just to watch. It may be the most excited Ive ever been for a sporting event. Italy has a lot of injuries, and France's top guy, Cici, broke his leg. If everyone keeps getting injured, the US has a chance of getting out of the group stage. We will be at the US vs Czech Republic game on June 12 at 6 local time, or like 11 to 12 at home. All games are on TV, so look for the lone two US fans and our celebrations when we win!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.2378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb