Background: Once the center of power for the large Austro-Hungarian Empire, Austria was reduced to a small republic after its defeat in World War I. Following annexation by Nazi Germany in 1938 and subsequent occupation by the victorious Allies in 1945, Austria's status remained unclear for a decade. A State Treaty signed in 1955 ended the occupation, recognized Austria's independence, and forbade unification with Germany. A constitutional law that same year declared the country's "perpetual neutrality" as a condition for Soviet military withdrawal. Following the Soviet Union's collapse in 1991 and Austria's entry into the European Union in 1995, some Austrians have called into question this neutrality. A prosperous, democratic country, Austria entered the Economic and Monetary Union in 1999.
Photos from Mayrhofen
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Mayrhofen
Latest Blogs from Mayrhofen
- August 29th 2012 Berliner Hutte
by Words: 369 Photos: 3
- August 28th 2012 Berliner Hutte - no more bridges
by Words: 870 Photos: 3
- August 26th 2012 Olperer Hutte - what a view!
by Words: 625 Photos: 4
- September 16th 2011 Happy Wanderers in the Austrian Tyrol
by Words: 551 Photos: 6
- June 28th 2007 Into Austria
by Words: 280 Photos: 5
- April 10th 2007 Back to Austria Snowboarding
by Words: 90 Photos: 4
- March 23rd 2007 New Job!
by Words: 257 Photos: 10
- March 11th 2007 Still Alive!
by Words: 169 Photos: 7
- January 29th 2007 Parallel baby!
by Words: 639 Photos: 1
- January 6th 2007 New Years and resolutions...
by Words: 807 Photos: 7
- December 29th 2006 Schnapps...
by Words: 506 Photos: 5
- December 26th 2006 Skiing etc
by Words: 644 Photos: 5