Background: With US backing, Panama seceded from Colombia in 1903 and promptly signed a treaty with the US allowing for the construction of a canal and US sovereignty over a strip of land on either side of the structure (the Panama Canal Zone). The Panama Canal was built by the US Army Corps of Engineers between 1904 and 1914. On 7 September 1977, an agreement was signed for the complete transfer of the Canal from the US to Panama by the end of 1999. Certain portions of the Zone and increasing responsibility over the Canal were turned over in the intervening years. With US help, dictator Manuel NORIEGA was deposed in 1989. The entire Panama Canal, the area supporting the Canal, and remaining US military bases were turned over to Panama by or on 31 December 1999.
Photos from Panama Canal
Blogs from Panama Canal
Latest Blogs from Panama Canal
- October 26th 2012 Lake Gatun, Panama
by Words: 615 Photos: 56
- October 9th 2012 Day 14 – Monday – Oct 8 – Transit the Panama Canal
by Words: 2103 Photos: 9
- October 8th 2012 Day 13 – Sunday – Oct 7 – Fuerte Amador, Panama
by Words: 1480 Photos: 10
- January 24th 2012 THE PATH BETWEEN THE SEAS
by Words: 617 Photos: 20
- January 3rd 2012 Panama/Costa Rica
by Words: 546 Photos: 0
- November 12th 2011 Panama Canal - proper tourist style!
by Words: 1136 Photos: 20
- October 10th 2011 Panama Canal
by Words: 203 Photos: 0
- June 9th 2011 Ocean Gypsy back at sea....
by Words: 444 Photos: 1
- March 12th 2011 Slicing through the Continental Divide
by Words: 2777 Photos: 36
- February 13th 2011 Crossing the Panama Canal
by Words: 148 Photos: 6
- January 12th 2011 FROM THE ATLANTIC TO THE PACIFIC VIA THE PANAMA CANAL
by Words: 1254 Photos: 16
- December 24th 2010 Panama Canal, Jungles & Football
by Words: 486 Photos: 4
- December 2nd 2010 PANAMA CANAL
by Words: 658 Photos: 10
- October 11th 2010 The world's greatest shortcut (Panama Canal, Central Panama)
by Words: 2400 Photos: 12
- January 21st 2010 Puerto Limon and Panama Canal
by Words: 804 Photos: 4
- January 18th 2010 Canal de Panamá, PANAMÁ.
by Words: 637 Photos: 48
- September 30th 2009 A man, a plan, a canal, Panama!
by Words: 450 Photos: 5
- May 14th 2009 End of the tour..and a new adventure!
by Words: 1666 Photos: 20
- April 30th 2009 juste de passage
by Words: 329 Photos: 28
- April 20th 2009 A Circumnavigation of the World by Sailboat
by Words: 456 Photos: 13