Submarine Wonders and Ancient Ruins / Maravillas Submarinas y Ruinas de Tiempos Remotos


Advertisement
Published: January 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Honduras


Structure 9 seen from top of 11 / Estructura 9 vista desde la 11Structure 9 seen from top of 11 / Estructura 9 vista desde la 11Structure 9 seen from top of 11 / Estructura 9 vista desde la 11

They didn't use their imagination particularly when naming the structures! ********* ¡Desde luego que no se comieron la cabeza a la hora de nombrar las estructuras!
We finished our last blog saying we had travelled to Honduras on the bus from Antarctica. It was meant to take us all the way from Managua through to Tegucigalpa, the Honduras capital, and onto the small town of La Ceiba, where we would spend a night before catching a ferry to the Bay Islands in the morning. When we got on the bus, the air conditioning was set so high that we could almost see our breath. You could say the temperature was more suitable for transporting dead meat to the butchers or penguins to the zoo, but certainly not for people .

Maria and a bunch of other passengers tried asking the driver to turn it down a touch, but all he did was turn it off completely only to turn it back on again after a few minutes. Feeling the freezing air hitting our summer-clad bodies, we all (locals and tourists alike) tried retracting our limbs into our clothing in a tortoise-like manner, fearing that the sensation on our hands and feet was the beginning of a frostbite attack. After a few more complaints, the driver seemed to reach the end of his tether; he stopped the bus by the side of the road, walked half way down the corridor and pretty much told us all to stop bothering him.

Giving a side glance to Maria, he said that it was always the same 2 people (liar, liar) complaining of being cold, but that others at the back had complained of being hot (pants on fire). When a few of us loudly expressed a fervent wish of swapping seats with them, they didn't materialise (what a surprise) and, unsympathetically ignoring the blue tinge in our faces, he changed the subject. Basically he just made up a stupid story about the air con only having one setting and saying it would break if he kept turning it on and off, so he was keeping it on and that was it.

Taking in the considerable size of the man, who was of colossal proportions by European standards, let alone by Latin American standards, nobody felt suicidal enough to pick a fight with him. But as he wobbled back to his seat, sideways so he wouldn't get stuck between the rows of seats, the thought that the only person who could possibly be hot in the entire bus was him (given his natural insulation) was on everyone's minds. Not surprisingly, with many hours left to suffer yet, we weren't the only ones to abandon the bus at Tegucigalpa and find alternative transport to La Ceiba. Knowing, from bitter experience, that complaining to the office would just cause us to get frustrated and waste valuable time, we didn't even bother.

We managed to get some seats on the last bus to La Ceiba (with a different company), but the time we wasted having to change buses meant we arrived at our destination at 11pm without a room reservation, which is definitely not advisable. A taxi dropped us outside a hotel but it was full, so we had to walk the empty streets in search of another one. We weren't happy about finding ourselves in that situation, which we've always tried so carefully to avoid, but luckily we didn't bump into anyone dodgy and found a room in the third place we tried, so all was well in the end.

The next morning we jumped onto a ferry and made our way to Utila, one of the islands in the Bay Islands Archipelago. The island itself doesn't have
Bat / MurciélagoBat / MurciélagoBat / Murciélago

Bat - “Cama Zotz” “Killer Bat”, associated with the underworld, death and sacrifice ********* Bat - “Cama Zotz” “Killer Bat”. Murciélago asesino, asociado con el inframundo, la muerte y el sacrificio
much to it, and we guess the others in the group are pretty much all the same. Visiting the beaches for swimming or sunbathing is not particularly recommended as they are swarming with blood thirsty sand flies. Until recently they only housed a relatively small population of native people (mostly English speaking blacks), leading pretty simple and modest lives, until the diving industry realised their potential as a top destination for enthusiasts of the underwater world. The reef diving here is said to be amongst the best in the Caribbean, with clear waters and extensive coral colonies around the islands. Diving schools have sprouted like mushrooms and alongside them a small number of hotels, restaurants and cafés to satisfy every budget, though still at the lower end of the market, and offering sufficient, but limited choices.

We too came here with the sole purpose of getting our Open Water Certificates, which is the basic diving certificate recognised worldwide. We had heard that this was not only the cheapest place to learn in the western hemisphere (and since we were passing by...), but it also had the only diving school in the world with the two highest awards granted by PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors). As soon as we stepped off the boat, one of their instructors found us and took us to our accommodation, explaining on the way that we could start the theory course that same afternoon. Not wanting to waste time, that's exactly what we did.

It takes 4 days to get your qualification, the first two are spent in a classroom learning all the theory and then taking a multiple-choice type exam, and the other two are spent in the water, putting the basic skills into practice and enjoying some time with the fish for the last few minutes of each session. The theory didn't pose much of a challenge, other than having to learn new vocabulary (technical terms), basic sign language to communicate under the water, and what to do in the case of getting a cramp, running out of oxygen, and other such inconveniences. We both passed our theory tests with flying colours, and if you'll allow us to brag about it a little, our marks were 99% and 100%!

On the 2nd day you jump into the water and this is when the fun truly begins. First you laugh at
Altar "Q"Altar "Q"Altar "Q"

One of the most outstanding monuments, the figures are the rulers of Copan and the text on top of the altar refer to local historical events linked to them ********* Uno de los monumentos más sobresalientes, con las figuras de los emperadores de Copán esculpidas en los lados, y el texto sobre la cara superior habla de sucesos históricos relacionados con ellos
your companions' struggle to put their wetsuits on, then at your own funny walk with the flippers at the end of your feet, and finally nobody fails to look downright silly with the goggles on, so although you're dressed head to toe in rubber, you don't feel particularly sexy, but rather silly and clumsy. It's all very different once you're in the water though. Once you find your neutral buoyancy (when you neither sink nor float), and hang suspended over the floor in limbo, you can start to relax and look around you, feeling part of the whole new world that's just opened up in front of your eyes. It's an incredible feeling, and with no noise pollution, other than the bubbles of you breathing, it's so peaceful down there.

But first we had to go over all the motions and do some practical exercises, which required us to do other things that we didn't enjoy quite as much. This started out with us sitting down in shallow water so that any mistakes we made could be easily remedied by simply standing up (the water was just up to our chest when standing). Maria's least favourite exercise was having to remove her goggles, as once her nose sensed freedom it couldn't resist the urge to start working again, and having salty water rushing up your nostrils is not the most comfortable feeling particularly. It was a complete disaster, it happened every single time, but at least she could stand up and cough and splutter at will and then try again. But she really worried that she wouldn't be able to do it during the actual test, when you go deeper and standing up doesn't change anything. After a couple of failed attempts, she had to resort to pinching her nose with one hand whilst trying to put her goggles back on with the other one. No easy task by anyone's standards, and although she felt rather silly, she managed to do ok. Whoo-hoo!

On the 3rd day we went on our first proper dive in “Open Water”, diving down to a depth of about 40 feet. After that first dive, we had to wait on the boat for around an hour before we could go for our second dive and last set of exercises, and this is when trouble started for Maria. It is perhaps life's irony at its cruellest that she was born a Pisces (which means fish), as she gets really seasick as soon as she hits the water (she even got seasick on a hammock on firm land in Panama, how bad is that!). Knowing this could be a potentially big problem, she only had an apple for breakfast and took a motion sickness tablet too, just in case. Unfortunately the sea was rather choppy that day and the waves rocked the boat in every possible direction...

She jumped into the water in the hope that the nausea she had started to feel would go away once off the boat, and although it did help, she chose to do it a few minutes too late... whilst the rest of the group were getting kitted out again, she “fed the fish” on the surface with her apple from breakfast. Feeling considerably better, she put on her kit too and we started to make our way down to the bottom of the ocean. Unfortunately in the few minutes that it took us to do this, the nausea had come back with a vengeance and she fed the fish once more, this time with 30ft of water on top of her head and no other air than the one coming out of the regulator (mouth piece) that she was throwing up into. Not nice. Luckily she managed to stay calm and didn't panic, which would have been an easy thing to do in such an uncomfortable (to say the least) situation...

So all in all it was a bit of a struggle, but she managed to finish the rest of the exercises and go for a bit of a swim with the rest of the group; we saw beautiful coral of all shapes and colours and lots of different fish, including a toothy barracuda. Although she did enjoy it, she couldn't wait to get back to the surface, where she threw up for the third time for good measure. If anybody reading this has got a miracle cure for sea-sickness, she'd be very happy to hear from you... please send any suggestions on the back of a postcard.

On the last day, not wanting a repeat of the previous one, Maria took a double dose of seasickness tablets on an empty stomach and felt much better for it (no nausea this time). However, this day was the worst one for Mark, due to the endurance tests, which were conducted out at sea in deep water and once again in choppy seas. The tests are to prove that you are fit enough to survive on the surface for a few minutes, in case you need to resurface quickly and wait for rescue to reach you. For this we had to do 5 loops round the boat, using any swimming style we wanted (including doggy paddle if we so wished). Next we had to tread water for 5 minutes, and this is what Mark seemed to struggle with most. Whereas most people seemed to find this fairly easy, he just looked like a drowned sparrow, desperately trying to keep his head out of the water and frantically gasping for air. Later on he found some comfort on hearing that guys apparently find it harder to float than girls (no rude comments here!), but at the time he couldn't wait for the 5 minutes to be over.

Other unpleasant activities saved for the last day are an “I’m out of air and there’s no-one near me” exercise, where you have to make your way back up to the surface without your air supply, using only a single breath of air. And the “I’m out of air, please help me get up to the surface” exercise, where you share air with your buddy and then inflate your jacket using your own breath whilst on the surface. This was another exercise that Mark hated, as his “heavy feet” were again making it difficult for him to keep his head above water and this time Maria would also suffer, as he was using her as a buoyancy aid whilst orally inflating his jacket (and partially sinking her in the process).

After getting our certificates, we decided to take a day's break before going on to take our Advanced Diving Certificate, the next level up, which only takes a further 2 days. Unfortunately 24 hours later Maria was confined to bed with a throat infection combined with a nasty cold that knocked her out for about 5 days. This was precious time we couldn't afford to lose, so when she felt better we thought we'd better move on and leave the diving for some other time.

*** You may wonder why the pictures on this page are a bit
Hieroglyphic Stairway & Stela M / Escalera Jeroglífica y Estela MHieroglyphic Stairway & Stela M / Escalera Jeroglífica y Estela MHieroglyphic Stairway & Stela M / Escalera Jeroglífica y Estela M

The Hieroglyphic Stairway is the longest inscribed text in the New World. It has 63 steps and records the history of Copan ********* La Escalinata Jeroglífica constituye el texto inscrito más largo del Nuevo Mundo. Tiene 63 escalones y registra la historia de Copán
“monothematic”. Unfortunately we were so busy during those 4 days that we forgot to take the camera with us every time, and therefore we don't have any pictures dressed as frog men. In any case, it would have been a big risk taking it as it's not water proof... With Maria feeling so poorly in the days that followed, we also failed to take any pictures of the island. But trust us, you're not missing much on either account, so don't feel too disappointed... plus there will be a picture of two of us clad in rubber suits later on, so keep watching... ***

And so we went to visit the ruins at Copan. Copan is not only one of the major Maya sites in Central America, but also the one that marks the southern most limit of the Maya Empire's dominance, which spread from what today is Southern Mexico and stretched from 800BC to 900AD. When the ruins were “discovered” by the first English-speaking travellers, they were engulfed in jungle. Extensive excavation works are still in place to unearth new structures, which continue to be buried under soil and tree roots. We've added a picture of a model
Ballcourt and Hieroglyphic Stairway / Campo de pelota y Escalera JeroglíficaBallcourt and Hieroglyphic Stairway / Campo de pelota y Escalera JeroglíficaBallcourt and Hieroglyphic Stairway / Campo de pelota y Escalera Jeroglífica

The Ball Court was obviously a sports arena, but as was frequent in Mesoamerica, it was of outstanding ritual importance. The match was of a gladiator nature, with the loser being sacrificed at the end ********* El Campo de Pelota era un campo de juego, pero como sucedía con frecuencia en Mesoamérica, estaba envuelto en gran importancia ritual. La contienda era de naturaleza gladiadora, siendo sacrificado el perdedor
of the ruins so you can get a better idea of what it looks like (and to help refresh our memories to be honest).

The biggest area in Copan is made up of what is known as the Principal Group, which was the political, civil and religious centre. This Principal Group consists of the Great Plaza and the Acropolis. The Great Plaza was used for public events, with a capacity to lodge thousands of people. The Acropolis was a private area, the main precinct of political and religious power, the seat of the ruler and his court.

Temples were usually destroyed and new ones built over their foundations by the next ruler. However, there is one, known as the Rosalilla temple, which was discovered intact under Temple 16, suggesting it was considered too sacred to be destroyed. It represents a sacred mountain where the souls of the ancestors reside, and a place of creation. There are even earlier platforms and tombs inside it, which date back another 150 years, and contain the remains of the first ruler of the Copan dynasty and his wife. We paid extra to get into a tunnel to see part of the original
Old man's head / Cabeza del AncianoOld man's head / Cabeza del AncianoOld man's head / Cabeza del Anciano

The Maya believed that aged deities held the four corners of the sky atop the body of a crocodile (which would be the earth) floating on a big body of water. This head belonged to one of the figures that stood in the corners of Temple 11 ********* Los mayas creian que deidades de edad avanzada sostenían las cuatro esquinas del cielo sobre el cuerpo de un cocodrilo (que sería la tierra) flotando sobre un gran cuerpo de agua. Esta cabeza es de una de las figuras que ocupaban las esquinas del templo
but it was a bit of a waste (both of money and time), as you can only see two very small parts behind glass (both dirty and scratched), which makes it rather difficult to get an idea of what the whole structure looks like. It's much better to just go to the on site museum and see the full-scale reproduction inside.

Spread around the complex are a series of stelae, stone monoliths carved with faces, figures and animals. They are royal portraits with inscriptions recording the dates of birth, marriage and death, as well as historical events in the life of the rulers depicted in them. These inscriptions are important not only because they help us to understand their history, but because of the fact that it is the only fully developed written language of the pre-Columbian Americas known to date. These stelae are reproductions, the originals have been placed in the museum to prevent further weather damage. We've added a bit more information under some of the pictures, but this about sums up the main places of interest in the complex.

People in Honduras seemed kind and friendly towards tourists. Unfortunately, as we were already rather pushed for time, we didn't have time to explore other parts of the country and get better acquainted with it. We booked our onward transport into Guatemala for the next day and off we went for another dose of Maya ruins and lava spitting volcanoes...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Terminamos la última página diciendo que habíamos viajado en un autobús frigorífico. Este bus tendría que habernos llevado desde Managua hasta Tegucigalpa, la capital de Honduras, y continuado hasta la localidad de La Ceiba, donde pasaríamos una noche antes de coger el ferry a las Islas de la Bahía por la mañana. Cuando nos subimos al bus, el aire acondicionado estaba tan fuerte que casi podíamos vernos el aliento. Se podría decir que la temperatura era adecuada para transportar carne del matadero a la carnicería, o pingüinos al zoo, pero no seres humanos.

Tanto una misma como un puñado de otros pasajeros le pedimos al conductor en repetidas ocasiones que bajara el aire un poco, pero lo único que hizo fue apagarlo completamente y volverlo a encender a los pocos minutos. Sintiendo el aire gélido sobre nuestros cuerpos vestidos de verano, turistas y nacionales por igual intentamos retraer nuestras extremidades dentro de la ropa, como si de tortugas terrestes nos tratásemos, temiendo que ese cosquilleo en las puntas de nuestros dedos de pies y manos era el comienzo de congelación de primer grado. Después de varias quejas más, al chófer se le terminó la paciencia; paró el bus a un lado de la carretera, se plantó en mitad del pasillo y prácticamente nos dijo que dejáramos de darle la lata.

Mirándome de reojillo como si quisiera echarme una indirecta, se puso a decir que siempre éramos las mismas 2 personas (mentira) quejándonos de que teníamos frío, pero que otros pasajeros al fondo se habían quejado de tener calor (mentira podrida). Cuando varios de nosotros expresamos en voz alta nuestro deseo de cambiarles el asiento, estos supuestos pasajeros acalorados no se materializaron (qué sorpresa); sin ninguna compasión por el color azulado que se nos estaba poniendo a o el tiparraco cambió de tema. Simplemente se inventó una historia diciendo que si no hacía más que encender y apagar el aire se iba a romper, así que lo dejaba encendido y ya está. Y que no le molestáramos más porque no lo iba a volver a apagar.

Fijándonos bien en el tamaño del hombre, de proporciones descomunales según estándares europeos, así que Latinoamericanos ya no digamos, a nadie le entraron instintos suicidas como para ponerse a discutir con él. Pero según se alejaba meneando sus colosales michelines de lado a lado, colocándose de canto para no quedarse atascado entre las dos filas de asientos, no nos cabe duda de que a todo el mundo se le pasó lo mismo por la cabeza: que la única persona que podía remotamente tener calor en todo el bus era él mismo (dado su aislante natural). Con muchas horas de sufrimiento por delante, no nos pilló de sorpresa ver cómo no fuimos los únicos que decidieron abandonar el bus en Tegucigalpa y buscar transporte alternativo a La Ceiba. Sabiendo que quejarnos a la oficina no iba a llevarnos a ningún sitio, sino que más bien desembocaría en más frustación y en la pérdida de valioso tiempo, ni nos molestamos.

Logramos conseguir asientos en el último bus a La Ceiba con una empresa diferente. Pero con el tiempo que perdimos esperando y demás, no llegamos a nuestro destino hasta las 11 de la noche, y encima sin reserva de habitación, algo que no es en absoluto
Local fauna / Fauna localLocal fauna / Fauna localLocal fauna / Fauna local

Who said Spanish was difficult? / ¿Quién dijo que el inglés es difícil?
aconsejable. El taxista nos dejó a la puerta de un hotel, pero estaba lleno, así que tuvimos que pasearnos por las desiertas calles en busca de otro. No nos hizo ninguna gracia encontrarnos en semejante situación, sobretodo porque siempre habíamos tenido tanto cuidado en que no pasara algo así, pero por suerte no nos topamos con ningún indeseable y encontramos habitación en el tercer hotel que preguntamos, así que todo bien.

A la mañana siguiente nos subimos al ferry y nos dirigimos a Utila, una de las islas del archipiélago de las Islas de la Bahía. La isla en sí no tiene mucho que ver, y nos imaginamos que las demás son más o menos igual. No es aconsejable visitar las playas para nadar o tomar el sol porque están plagadas de moscas de la arena que se te comen vivo (son casi invisibles pero si te pican te estás rascando hasta el día del juicio final y encima pueden pasarte un parásito que mejor no os contamos lo que te puede hacer). Hasta hace poco las islas sólo albergaban un número relativamente pequeño de nativos (mayormente negros angloparlantes), que llevan una vida sencilla y modesta. Hasta que el negocio del submarinismo se estableció en toda la zona al descubrirse su potencial como destino ideal para los entusiastas del mundo subacuático. Dicen que aquí el buceo en arrecife es de lo mejor del Caribe, en las aguas cristalinas y las grandes colonias de coral que rodean las islas. Escuelas de submarinismo empezaron a surgir y se multiplicaron como hongos, y mano a mano con éstas, un pequeño número de hoteles, restaurantes y cafés para satisfacer todo tipo de presupuestos (aunque más bien los bajos); las opciones son suficientes aunque algo limitadas.

Nosotros también vinimos aquí con el único propósito de aprender a bucear y sacarnos el diploma básico (hay un montón de niveles y especialidades), que se llama PADI Open Water (PADI es la organización reguladora reconocida internacionalmente). Habíamos escuchado que las islas no sólo son el sitio más barato donde aprender en el hemisferio occidental (y como andábamos de paso...), sino además que tienen la única escuela en el mundo a la que PADI ha otorgado sus dos mayores distinciones por su nivel de profesionalidad. En cuanto pusimos pie en tierra, uno de sus instructores fue el primero en acostarnos, así que nos fuimos con él y de camino a nuestro alojamiento nos explicó que podíamos empezar con la teoría esa misma tarde. No queriendo perder tiempo, eso es exactamente lo que hicimos.

El cursillo para sacarte el diploma básico dura 4 días; los dos primeros los pasas en una clase aprendiendo toda la teoría y luego haciendo un examen escrito, y los otros dos los pasas en el agua, poniendo la teoría en práctica y disfrutando de un ratito con los peces al final de casa sesión. La teoría no nos resultó dificil, aparte de tener que aprender vocabulario nuevo (vocablos técnicos), varias señas para poder comunicarnos bajo el agua, y qué hacer si surge algún inconveniente como que te dé un calambre o te quedes sin oxígeno. Si se nos permite fardar un poco, diremos que ambos aprobamos el examen sin problemas, con un resultado del 99% y 100%.

El tercer día te lanzas al agua y aquí es donde empieza la diversión. Primero te da un ataque de risa de ver los sudores que pasan tus compañeros para ponerse el traje, luego te ries de tu misma patosería con aletas en los pies, y para remate todo el mundo tiene cara de tonto con las gafas puestas, así que aunque estás vestido de pies a cabeza en neopreno ajustadito al cuerpo, no te sientes pero que nada sexy. Una vez logras establecer tu flotabilidad neutra (cuando ni flotas ni te hundes), y estás ahí suspendido sobre el suelo como si estuvieras en el limbo, empiezas a relajare y mirar a tu alrededor, sintiéndote una parte más del nuevo mundo que acaba de surgir frente a tus ojos. Es una sensación increible, y al no haber contaminación acústica allí abajo, se respira una paz inigualable.

Pero primero tuvimos que aprobar nuestro examen práctico, que supuso hacer otras cosas que no disfrutamos tanto. El ejercicio que menos gracia me hizo a mí fue quitarme las gafas, ya que en cuanto mi nariz olía libertad se empeñaba en volver a funcionar, y que se te meta un chorro de agua salada por las narices no es una sensación precisamente agradable. Fue un desastre total, cada vez que me las quitaba pasaba lo mismo, así que la única manera en la que pude salir del aprieto fue sujetándome la nariz con una mano mientras intentaba volver a ponerme las gafas con la otra. Tarea nada fácil he de añadir. Me sentí un poco tonta, la verdad, pero a grandes males grandes remedios...

Lo que menos le gustó a Mark fue la prueba de resistencia, o sea, demostrar que estás lo bastante en forma como para sobrevivir un mínimo de tiempo en la superficie, por si acaso tienes que subir en una emergencia y necesitas que vengan a rescatarte. Para este ejercicio tuvimos que dar la vuelta al barco 5 veces, utilizando el estilo de natación que quisiéramos (incluyendo a lo perrito si eso es lo único que sabes hacer), y después mantenermos a flote 5 minutos. Mark lo pasó fatal con esto; parecía un gorrioncillo ahogándose en un barreño, apenas lograba mantener la cabeza fuera del agua. Más tarde le produjo algo de consuelo el enterarse de que al parecer a los hombres no les resulta tan fácil flotar como a las mujeres (¡sin comentarios!), pero cuando estaba ahí sufriendo los 5 minutos se le hicieron eternos.

Después de esta primera sesión, tuvimos que esperar en el barco como una hora antes de poder volver a sumergirnos y realizar la segunda tanda de ejercicios, y aquí es cuando empezaron mis problemas de verdad. En mi opinión, es una cruel ironía haber nacido piscis, ya que de pez no tengo nada, y me mareo en cuanto hay un par de olas (también me mareo en una hamaca en tierra firme, pero corramos un tupido velo...). Sabiendo que esto podría ser un inconveniente, sólo desayuné una manzana y me tomé una pastilla anti-mareo por si las moscas. Por desgracia para mí el mar estaba algo picado esa mañana y el barco se meneaba en todas las direcciones habidas y por haber.

Así que no tuve más remedio que echarme al agua cuando ya no pude más con las naúseas, y aunque en el agua no se notaba tanto como en el barco, para cuando lo hice ya era demasiado tarde. Mientras el resto del grupo empezaba a colocarse toda la parafernalia otra vez, yo estaba flotando cabeza abajo dando de comer a los peces. El alivio fue inmediato, de modo que me coloqué el disfraz yo también y p'abajo que nos fuimos otra vez. Por desgracia, en los pocos minutos que tardamos en prepararnos y tocar fondo, la nauseas habían regresado buscando venganza, así que otra vez a dar de comer a los peces, pero esta vez con 10 metros de agua sobre mi cabeza y sin otro oxígeno que el que salía de mi regulador (la pieza que te metes en la boca) que era precisamente en lo que estaba echando las tripas. Menos mal que logré relajarme y que no me entrara el pánico, que hubiese sido lo fácil en tan incómoda (y es decir poco) situación...

Total, que a pesar de ser un poco agobio con tanto malestar, aún me las arreglé para hacer todos los ejercicios y acompañar al resto del grupo en una vueltecilla por el arrecife; vimos corales preciosos de todas las formas y colores, y un montón de peces diferentes, incluyendo una barracuda dentuda. Aunque me encantó el “paseo”, me moría de ganas de regresar a la superficie, donde una vez a flote eché la tercera vomitona, por si aún quedaba algo. Qué mal rato, qué horror. Si alguien de los que estáis leyendo esto tiene una cura milagrosa para el mareo, por favor que me la mande, que me hará muy feliz...

Una vez acabadas todas las pruebas y con nuestro diploma en la mano, decidimos tomarnos un par de días de relax antes de ir al cursillo para el nivel siguiente, que sólo dura dos días. Pero no habían pasado 24 horas cuando me ví confinada a los límites de mi cama, con una infección de garganta combinada con resfriado que me dejó hecha unos zorros durante casi una semana. Viendo que en consecuencia esto nos costó un tiempo que no nos podíamos permitir perder, decidimos dejar el buceo para otra ocasión y en cuanto me encontré mejor hicimos las mochilas y nos fuimos.

*** Os preguntaréis cómo es que las fotos de esta página son un poco “monotemáticas”. Desafortunadamente, estuvimos tan ocupados durante esos 4 días que se nos olvidó llevarnos la cámara un día detrás de otro, y por tanto no tenemos ni una foto vestidos de hombres rana. En cualquier caso, hubiera sido un gran riesgo llevarnos la cámara al no ser ésta impermeable... Y como luego yo estuve hecha un asco en los días que siguieron, tampoco salimos a sacar fotos de la isla. Pero creednos, no os perdéis mucho ni de una cosa ni de la otra, así que no os sintáis decepcionados.... además, ya vendrán un par de fotos en las que nos veréis enfundados en trajes de neopreno, así que no os perdáis las próximas páginas... ***

Y así fue que continuamos viaje y nos fuimos a visitar las ruinas de Copán. Copán no sólo es uno de los sitios Mayas más importantes de Centro América, sino también el que marca el límite sur del Imperio, que se extendió desde lo que es hoy el sur de México y dominó desde 800AC hasta 900DC. Cuando las ruinas fueron “descubiertas” por los primeros viajeros angloparlantes, estaban totalmente envueltas en selva. Los trabajos de excavación continúan hoy día, y nuevas estructuras aparecen bajo la tierra y las raices que las han mantenido ocultas durante siglos. Hemos añadido una foto de un modelo del sitio para que os podáis hacer una mejor idea de cómo es (y para ayudarnos a nosotros a refrescar nuestra memoria para ser sinceros).

La zona más grande de Copán se conoce como el Grupo Principal, que era el centro político, civil y religioso. Este Grupo Principal está formado por la Gran Plaza y la Acrópolis. La Gran Plaza se utilizaba para acontecimientos públicos, con una capacidad para albergar miles de personas. La Acrópolis era un área privada, precinto principal de poder político y religioso, el asiento del emperador y su corte.

Los Templos solían ser destruidos y otros levantados sobre sus cimientos por el nuevo emperador. Sin embargo hay uno, conocido como el Templo Rosalilla, que fue descubierto intacto bajo el Templo 16, sugiriendo que era demasiado sagrado como para ser derribado. Representa una montaña sagrada donde viven las almas de los antepasados, y un lugar de creación. Existen dentro de él plataformas y tumbas aún más antigüas, que datan de 150 años antes, y contienen los restos del primer emperador de la dinastia de Copán y los de su mujer. Pagamos una entrada aparte para entrar al túnel que se ha excavado y ver parte del templo original, pero resultó ser un gasto de dinero y una pérdida de tiempo, ya que sólo se pueden ver dos pequeñas secciones mal iluminadas, tras un cristal tan sucio y arañado que apenas se ve nada. Es mucho mejor visitar el museo que hay a la entrada y ver la reproducción a escala real del templo completo.

Esparcidas por todo el complejo hay una serie de estelas, monolitos de piedra esculpidos con caras, figuras y animales. Son retratos reales con inscripciones detallando fechas de nacimiento, matrimonio y defunción, y sucesos históricos relacionados con los emperadores en cuestión. Estas inscripciones son importantes no sólo para entender mejor la historia de esta civilización, sino por el hecho de que es el único lenguaje escrito completamente desarrollado de las Américas precolombinas que se conoce hasta la fecha. Estas estelas son copias, las originales están en el museo para protegerlas de los elementos y que no sufran más daño. Hemos añadido un poco más de información en las fotos, pero esto más o menos resume los sitios de mayor interés del sitio.

Los Hondureños nos parecieron agradables y amables hacia los turistas. Desafortunadamente, como ya andábamos muy justos de tiempo, no pudimos explorar otras partes del pais para conocerlos mejor. Reservamos transporte a Guatemala para el día siguiente y allá nos fuimos a buscar otra dosis de ruinas mayas y paisajes de lava...

Advertisement



4th January 2007

Knackered?
You both look absolutly knackered in the picture "Having a break in East Court", it must be all this travelling?
4th January 2007

scuba
Hey, Mark, my husband had the same trouble with the bouyancy thing when we became certified. And we had a real life out of air expereince during our training. My hubby is definately not a fish -in or out of the water!
28th January 2007

Menuda angustia lo de los vomitos! Sin embargo suena muy chulo. (Mejor que en una mina en Gales en febrero como yo lo hice). Seguro que en Nueva Zelanda estareis disfrutando mucho del buceo. Me estoy saltando de capitulo!

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb