Travelling with Mom


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras » Northern » Tela
March 20th 2007
Published: March 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This is Grant making a quick update. We left Leon and as planned made it through Honduras to El Salvador for the night. We stayed in a nice place on Playa El Zonte, where Erika spent a week last summer. The waves were huge, but Matt went boogie boarding anyway.

We then moved on to Antigua, where we got set up for Lana´s arrival by plane in Guatemala City. I got to almost meet the judge, as the van got clamped as I was parked a meter into the red zone while spending a minute checking a hotel vacancy. I got as far as his secretary, but he wasn´t going to be in until the afternoon, so I just paid the $40 ticket, so I could get my transportation back.

We picked Lana up at the airport after befriending a couple of American deportees there while we were waiting. We helped one out with bus fare to Rio Dulce, as he arrived that day with no money. We plan on meeting up with him near Livingston in a week or two. We spent a lazy day around Antigua, and had a nice evening out, with local music which was very good. I even bought a hubcap from a guy driving the same van as we have, since we´ve been driving with three for some time now.

We then spent some time around Lake Atitlan. We took the boat from Panajachel to San Pedro and back through all the little towns on the north shore of the lake. We took a local bus from San Pedro up the switchbacks to Santa Clara just so Lana would have an idea what she is missing not being into the backpacker thing. Lana loves all the babies riding their mothers´ backs and especially that there is breastfeeding going on everywhere!

We stopped in Guatemala City where we looked up the Petersen family. Mariana Petersen is one of Lana´s La Leche League contacts, so the two ladies had a good afternoon of natural mother´s milk talk. The folks fed us a lovely lunch and we enjoyed our time with Carlos and Mariana, as well as their adult children Alejandro and Mariana Victoria.

We stopped in at the Copan ruins just inside the Honduras border. They were impressive but nothing on the scale of Angkor Wat. We continued on to Tela, where we were lucky enough to find a hotel that would keep Lana in a good mood! We are hoping to catch the boat tomorrow from La Ceiba to Roatan. Lana wants to get some sun and Matt and I hope to do some diving.

Until later, Grant.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The Petersen familyThe Petersen family
The Petersen family

Mom´s La Leche League contact Mariana in the middle


Tot: 1.878s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb