Roatan easy life


Advertisement
Published: March 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in La Ceiba to get the boat to Roatan. I was excited to start the beach part of our vacation. The van was left on the mainland in the parking lot close to the boat dock. After an hour and a half of Caribbean Sea, we were on Roatan.

Our beach town is called West End and it is small enough to have a welcoming feel. The hotel where we are staying is called Posada Arco Iris (meaning Rainbow in English), which has rooms high in a jungly setting. Outside our hotel is the main road of the town, a sand road that is parallel to the beach. A nice bay with a coral reef is only fifteen metres from our room. Almost every day, I have gone snorkelling, seeing a variety of fish and even a sunken mini-submarine. The bay is big enough for the diveboats to come in, and for a good swim.

We started our scuba diving five days ago at Native Sons dive shop. Dad and I both have done ten dives each, as we only have to pay US$20 per dive if we do that many. Our Polish friends, Adam and Kasia were studying for their open-water certification and recommended it to us. I really enjoyed my dives, although I think Thailand might be better. We saw many turtles, barracudas, jellyfish, common fish, and even an Eagle Ray.

One day we took a day trip by water taxi to another beach called West Bay. Our friends Rick and Ruth from Michigan came with us. The beach has a lot of resorts and people on it, but the reef was amazing for snorkelling. The gelatos there were good too!

If you want good food at our town, eat at Creoles Rotisserie Chicken. It gives you tender tasty chicken with delicious side dishes, and all for a reasonable price, which is unusual in Roatan!

Roatan is a great place for the Caribbean/pirate culture, but unfortunately we have to leave tomorrow, out of Honduras, and back to Guatemala. It is hard to believe that in two and a half weeks we hope to be back home.

Matt


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Main street of West EndMain street of West End
Main street of West End

A block from our place


5th April 2007

ruth and rick
My daughter Rachel and I recently spent a fabulous week + at Arcos Iris 2 doors down from Rick and Ruth and son , we can't wait to get back and couldn't have asked for nicer neighbors- till next time!!!! anneschissel@hotmail.com
11th April 2007

How'd you like the crew at Native Sons? I've dove with them twice now. Love those crazy characters!

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb