Visiting Erika´s Costa Rican family


Advertisement
Published: March 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We left Panama City early so that we would get the most out the day back at the beach in Playa las Lajas. We settled back in very easily and enjoyed another five days there. We walked the beach, went swimming and body surfing, read books, and had lots of discussions with the local families as well as Yves, Darren, and Sandra. We got acquainted with a couple of other newcomers, Maurice from Quebec, who has cycled 23000 kilometres, and Simon and Sarah, a nice backpacking couple from central England. Matt has spent a lot of time with the young folks here, and has learned a lot of Spanish words.

On Friday we finally had to bid our paradise goodbye and so we headed to David, where we dropped off Simon and Sarah, and then into southern Costa Rica. The next day was the day we visited Erika´s homestay family in Orosi, just east of Cartago. We were welcomed with open arms by the wonderful Sanchez family, and we got to meet quite a few of the extended family as well. Jorge, the father is a quiet hardworking carpenter/contractor who works six days a week for a total of 61
Teasing Yeisslyn at breakfast timeTeasing Yeisslyn at breakfast timeTeasing Yeisslyn at breakfast time

Fresh pineapple and pancakes Panamanian style!
hours. Lorena, the mother is a warm and hospitable lady who makes you feel very welcome. Angie, the big sister, is a lovely girl who loves to laugh and has a sparkle in her eye. The twins Luis and Juan are quite different, and it was Luis we got to know the most as he is the outgoing one.

The folks were all very talkative and also fairly easy to understand, as they were used to conversations with homestay students. They told us all Erika´s little secrets from when she stayed there last year and the year before. We went out with them to the central plaza, as there was a fiesta going on. It seems this family knows everyone in the town! The next morning we contributed some great Costa Rican bakery items, and we had a nice breakfast. They live in coffee country and know how to make a good pot. We then went swimming at what was supposed to be a hot spring but was probably colder than our Pacific water at Playa las Lajas. We had to leave at lunch time as we need to cover some miles before Thursday, when we pick Lana up in Guatemala.

We are now in Leon, Nicaragua which seems to be a colonial town with fewer tourists than Granada. It´s hot so we splurged $17 for a hostel with a pool. We had a great local lunch of rice and beans and whatever, so are relaxing for the rest of the day before heading off to El Salvador tomorrow. We have to cut through Honduras for a few kilometres on the way, so we´ll be treated to two border crossings in one day. We can hardly wait!

Until next time,
Grant


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

View of OrosiView of Orosi
View of Orosi

One of the prettiest settings we´ve seen so far


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb