Held up in Tegucigalpa


Advertisement
Published: October 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Note –
Apologies but what proceeds isn’t very interesting, however it was 2 days of our trip, and therefore it does need to be documented!! The lack of photos we took here too are few and far between, and therefore there are only 2 snaps of Tegucigalpa, neither of which I imagine will be breathtaking!

Our next real stop was to be Granada in Nicaragua, however getting there was going to be the difficult thing. We basically had to get back to the mainland (La Ceiba),from there get a 7 hour bus to Tegucigalpa (the capital of Honduras), stay the night, then get another bus to the capital of Nicaragua, Managua (8 hours by bus), stay the night, and then another bus from there in the morning to Granada. Mission

The mission was made even harder when we were told by a couple from Tegucigalpa (who I had dived with the previous day) that it was more than a little unsafe there, and they were generally worried about our safety when we said we would just find somewhere to stay in the city! They mentioned it was the kind of place that when they mug you for your phone, if it isn’t good enough, they shoot you…… being that I was carrying an old Sony Ericsson from about 6 years ago, I didn’t like my odds…

As luck would have it though, they were leaving for Tegucigalpa the same day as us, and could therefore help us out with getting a place to stay, and getting a cab to the hotel as this was a big safety issue as well!

So we pre booked a large, safe business hotel, and travelled alongside Aldorfo and Noella back to Tegucigalpa. They were fantastic, and helped us with everything along the way. The hotel we got too was by far the best place we have stayed at so far, and although we didn’t ideally want be there, it gave us a little time to relax, catch up on sleep and watch some cable TV!

The next day we asked reception to book us on the Tica bus to Managua, however bad news awaited us. It was fully booked. So, there was nothing left to do but book ourselves on the bus the day after, and go back to chilling in this large, clean hotel with room service and swimming pool…. Life sucks sometimes!

The day after, we finally got the bus to Managua, Nicaragua…. Apparently this was going to be another unsafe capital city. Great!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.327s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 25; qc: 121; dbt: 0.2624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb