Canadian Thanksgiving with American Friends in Honduras :)


Advertisement
Published: October 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Canadian ThanksgivingCanadian ThanksgivingCanadian Thanksgiving

Jimmy prepares the chicken
Mike, Mavis, and I were very excited when our American friends here in Honduras decided that they wanted to celebrate our Canadian Thanksgiving. During happy hour on Friday after school, we decided to have a Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday evening at Jimmy and Sarah's house before the big soccer game that night between Honduras and USA. Of course we were all cheering for Honduras, but we did get strange looks from people all day while we were out in the city wearing our Honduran jerseys.

Everyone agreed on what they would bring. I claimed the mashed potatoes and so I went over to Pam and Libby's place (they live with a Mexican family just down the street from me) to use their hand mixer. Jimmy and Sarah had the chicken (instead of turkey) and gravy covered. Libby covered stuffing and corn. Kallie made deviled eggs, Mike and Mavis covered appetizers, and Pam made amazing Pumpkin bars. It was like pumpkin pie in a bar version with oats. Mmmm.

It was so nice to have a great dinner with such great people. We all went around the circle and said what we were thankful for. Things ranged from being safe
The FeastThe FeastThe Feast

Our meal after our apps and before dessert :)
at the present moment in the political situation to beer and good food to friends and family. I was thankful to have such a supportive group of people who were willing to celebrate a holiday that wasn't their own, simply to help those of us who were missing a little bit of home. No one makes stuffing like my Nana... but it was nice to have the company and support: our Honduras family.

The soccer match was intense. Honduras scored the first goal so things were looking up but then got worse. It was eventually 3-2 for USA and Honduras had the chance to tie things up with a penalty kick. SOMEHOW the kick was WAY too high and we ended up losing. Walt was pretty upset about it but we do have another chance tomorrow night; if we beat El Salvador and Costa Rica loses to USA, we're still onto the World Cup. Let's hope something good happens for Honduras... let's face it, we could use it right now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

HON-DU-RAS!HON-DU-RAS!
HON-DU-RAS!

Ready for the game to start :)


14th October 2009

Happy to hear that you enjoyed an almost traditional Canadian thanksgiving (except for the chicken part!). Sounds like you have a great group of friends down there! Wishing you all the best....Clara
14th October 2009

No one makes stuffing like my Nana...
Too true Cuz... Too true... :)
14th October 2009

Happy Thanksgiving
It's great to hear that you had a great Thanksgiving even though you are so far away from home. It's good to have such good friends like that. I'm sure everyone enjoyed themselves and maybe the same thing will happen on the American Thanksgiving. Well Happy Thanksgiving from us here in Canada. Love you and keep having fun and sending your blogs. Love you. Uncle Wally

Tot: 0.275s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 85; dbt: 0.1331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb