More Unrest in Honduras


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras » Central » Tegucigalpa
September 23rd 2009
Published: September 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

I'm not sure if it's in the news at home, but it's definitely all over the news here:
Ousted president Zelaya is back in Honduras... back in Tegucigalpa.

Monday was meant to be the start of our first full week back at school. Monday, just before lunch, there were rumours going around the school that Mel had returned. Interim President Micheletti said this was false and only rumours. Later though, it was confirmed that Mel has indeed back in the country and that he had taken refuge at the Brazilian embassy.

We had many parents rushing in a panic to the school and pulling their children out of school early. By the end of the day, I had lost almost 1/3 of my 2nd grade students.

Monday night it was announced that there would be a curfew on the city until 6am the next day. School was meant to start 2 hours later than usual but would be proceeding... until it was announced that a second curfew had been added - until 6pm the next day.

So today there was no school and I stayed in my apt all day. I graded papers, watched TV, read my book, played on the computer, and Kallie and I did Spanish homework on the roof of our building.

Curfew was announced extended until 6am Wednesday morning. Notice from school that we would be starting late again. Also rumours that we'd be losing power around 5pm.

5pm came and went. I was happy to have power to watch Biggest Loser on TV. Shortly after, it was announced that curfew would be extended again - 6pm Wednesday.

I don't know how long this will go on but people will eventually run out of things. Sarah said the pulperia (corner store) near her house was open but has now been cleared out as everyone stocks up. I have enough water and food to last me for awhile. I'm going a little stir-crazy though.

Tomorrow a few teachers in the area are talking about getting together to keep each other company. We're living in a bit of a bubble right now - away from the drama. It is scary to watch on TV though.

I just pray for peace in this country. I have no idea what Mel plans to do from the Brazilian embassy but it's causing chaos in the country. He's called for rally of supporters from all over the country, which is why ALL of Honduras is under this curfew.

Let's hope it doesn't last too long, but rest assured, I am fine; worried about the future of this country, but fine.

Advertisement



23rd September 2009

Hope things work out for the Honduran people
I have been following this news via msn. I hope that there is no violence...the Honduran people have enough struggles without adding more! Hope school does reopen and all your students stay safe..along with you and your colleagues and Walter....
23rd September 2009

Praying for you
Just wanted you to know that you and your coworkers are in our thoughts and prayers. Wayne and Pat Fox
23rd September 2009

Short Lift in Curfew
Curfew has been lifted from 10am to 4pm today in order for people to go and get supplies. We're all preparing for the worst and stocking up on food. We're braving the grocery store. Everyone in the city is going to be out today. It's going to be a little crazy.
23rd September 2009

Please be careful and stay safe. Your Dad and I are praying for a peaceful and quick resolution to this whole thing. We love you. Hope to talk to you soon Love Mom
23rd September 2009

Honduras
I dont like Roberto Micheletti and his way to become president. Hopefully everything goes back to normal and you get back to your work. Cuidate y saludos.
26th September 2009

Trust in God
I am a honduran/USA citizen, there is a fight here that may influenced for good other nations, if the truth stays. The struggle is not like the international media shows it. Until Monday we were in peace, the little minority who supports Zelaya was weakening, and he knew about it. Chavez didn't want to loose his investment in our country either. Zelaya did not bring anything good to Honduras, Micheletti became President because the Constitution said it. He sacrifice his personal ambitions for the country, and will explain why...he will stay there until January, and by the Constitution, because he became a president, for only a few months, he can't be a president anymore. Here in Honduras, your relative, friend and loved one will be OK. As a country, we the majority who are in support of the change, in support of stopping socialism in our country, needs your prayers, for a final stop to this struggle. Please excuse me for intruding...Bless you all in Canada for sending volunteers to teach our people here and God bless you all...
28th September 2009

hey
hi sarah, hope u r well, i hope and pray also for your country to be fine too. I had a blast in jamaica, hot,hot,hot, liked the pics of walts birthday, glad things are going great for you guys. I will post some pics from jamaica prop today. Take care, just started urgent care today, it was good. Well take care, thinking good thoughts for your safety and country. Keep on teaching. love les
5th October 2009

Wow! I was living in Copan, Honduras 2007-2008, teaching at a bilingual school. I hadn't heard about Zelaya being back until I came across your post. I'm planning on flying in to SP in December to visit friends for a few weeks over Christmas break! I am really hoping things are OK politically so I don't have any problems getting in or out.

Tot: 0.258s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 86; dbt: 0.1507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb