Tikal


Advertisement
Published: January 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Puff, pant! damn, finally at the top of a set of 80m high near vertical, dodgy wooden stairs.
As we reach the top of the temple we emerge out of the top of the jungle shrouded in mist.
We sit on the top step of this huge, really old temple as the mist rolls out and the sun reveals
the tops of temple 1 & 2 and k's & k's of the canopy of the guatemalan jungle. A truely amazing experience.

The journey from Mex->Guat was a bit of a painful experience. We'd booked a package to flores Guat and they started off by shifting us between 3 vans and wanted to split us up with our luggage, hell no! Then we had a few hrs in a tiny boat along the river then a really dodgy border crossing & a super slow, bumpy, dusty bus ride. But we finally made it to Flores (a nice little town on a lake), found some cheap accom & booked a bus to Tikal in the morn (5am!). We picked the earliest bus to see the most animals and it payed off. 10 mins in and i spotted my 1st tucan eating berries then we watched a family of spider monkeys play in the canopy.
We roamed around the 16 km2 park for 5 hrs, climbing temples & checkin out ruins animals & jungle. You could hear a bunch of howler monkeys going sick, such a load, strange noise.
Awesome time in Tikal, the best ruins i've seen by far.
Next stop Belize and more long arsed bus trips!



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb