Placencia


Advertisement
Published: April 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


April 19, Sunday

We were up fairly early and packed, then I had the desk clerk call the Mayan Air office to reserve a couple of spots on the 9:00 flight. She told me that the flights for Corozal are at 7:00 am and 10:00 am, so we booked the 10:00 and got a taxi ride to the airstrip where we dropped off our duffel bag, and then walked into town for a bit of last minute shopping. San Pedro is several streets wide, all of them packed with shops and houses, and the traffic is busy busy busy with bicycles, golf carts ( 100's of them) and mini-van taxis. It is really a crowded and busy place. The flight to Corozal was on a C208 Caravan, and when I boarded, I asked the pilot if he wanted a co-pilot, he cleared off the right seat, and I jumped at the chance. A quick turn around departure, and we were flying over the little cayes on the way to the mainland which was almost immediately in sight. Into the strip just southwest of Corozal Town, a little negotiation with one of the many taxi drivers that show up for "the flight" and for $5 bz we got a 5 minute ride to Henry Mensas' where Bear had been safely parked for the last 3 days. We transferred our belongings from the duffel to their appropriate spots on Bear, and took off for Placencia. Shortly after the cut off to miss Belize City, we stopped at the Belize Zoo. This is a place much like the Exotic Feline Rescue Center in Indiana, no government funding, and started by a private individual who basically took pity on some animals that had been used in some kind of film endeavor, and now could not be released back into the wild. This small start has grown to the only major zoo in Belize, with thousands of students, and over 600 teachers going through the classes that they put on, with almost all the native species of mammals, crocs, and many rare birds all from Belize, and all taken from illegal owners, injured animals etc. The zoo was very well done, and worth every penny to see. About 1 1/2 hours later we were on the way again to Placencia, Stan Creek District, Belize. Once past Belmopan, the road leads up into the mountains, a beautiful though occasionally rough road through palm forests and citrus groves. Many Mennonites have settled here in Belize, and their farms are evident. One exciting section was riding across a temporary wooden bridge, that actually looked tougher than it was. The last 24 miles to Placencia is dirt road, thankfully not simply loose sand, but many spots were rough with cobblestone size rocks embedded in the road. Opposite direction trucks stirred up dust enough that I had to slow down considerably until the dust cleared. By the time we pulled into Placencia, the bike and us were very dirty. We found the spot recommended by Rick in Corozal, "Julia's Guest House" and checked in for $40 USD a night. No air conditioning, but two fans, and once the evening cools the air down a bit, it's actually much more pleasant than the a/c would be. We are also right on the beach, and a "block" east of the narrowest Main Street in the world. This street is literally the width of a small sidewalk, with homes and businesses on either side of it. It is listed in the Guiness Book of World Records. Placencia is a much laid back little town, still plenty of places to stay from $30 to $120 USD and on up to several thousands, if you want to spend a week on a private island. Many tour operators in town who are only too glad to arrange scuba tours, sailing charters, mainland excursions to Mayan ruins and caves to jungle tours to spot the elusive Jaguar. There is the quaintness of many little shops selling many Mayan goods from small hand towels to wallets to purses to duffel bags. Lots of jewelry and carvings, but everyone is very laid back, no pushy salesmen, and no kids trying to sell you things by making you feel sorry for them.

April 20, Monday

This was a hang out day, a little shopping and not much else other than beach sitting, and hammock hanging. We did discover the best food around, Brenda sets up by the end of the road, at the docks, and starts grilling and cooking amazingly good food. We sat down on two plastic chairs and were fed what she had made for the afternoon, rice, gumbo soup and barbecued chicken. Oh my goodness, Brenda is amazing.

April 21, Tuesday,

I told Julia we'd be staying another night or two, and other than going to the bank/insurance office to add another week to my motorcycle insurance, this was another hang out day with a 3:00 appointment for more of Brenda's amazing food. Everyone in town knows Brenda, everyone agrees she has the best food, and no one messes with her stuff, which she leaves by the docks, because as she says " I gives ever'body love so's no-ones wud be robbin' me uv me tings mon". I may check into some scuba certification lessons here tomorrow morning, my efforts at finding a small sailboat for rental went for nought.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



24th April 2009

Happy Birthday!
Sorry for the late reminder but Sue and I were thinking of you all day on your birthday, I just never got around to saying it. Hope you had a great day!
26th April 2009

Mileage contest
I think I know who's going to win the club mileage contest this year...
1st May 2009

You look really thin, tan, and happy in the pictures i have seen. Duke and June say hi. I love you.

Tot: 0.326s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.2808s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb