Day three in Kanchanaburi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
March 3rd 2005
Published: January 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Last day of tour
More WWII history
Lots of lives were lost.

We started off our morning with another walk through the forest. BUT since I had done this walk the previous day they decided to take us on a slightly different route that took us over part of the lake via a rope bridge! I wasn't feeling the most nimble so I opted to take the easier route that was over a few precariously placed logs instead! With my luck I would have fallen the 10 metres into the murky lake...

After complaining about the heat a few times and then replenishing ourselves with water we headed over to the canoes which we took to cross the lake this time. I had it pretty easy since there were only 3 paddles and about 8 of us in this long tail type boat so I got to sit back and relax.

Our group split up. Some went over to the 7 tier waterfall and the Tiger temple while there were three of us that went over to Hellfire Pass. This was the part of the railway where they would work ridiculous hours on the railway and at night the area they were working on was lit with lanterns. Hence the name Hellfire Pass was created. Thousands of POW's in WWII died building this railway. The Japanese originally estimated that it would take about 5 years to build the railway linking Thailand and Burma. I believe they completed the entire railway in something like 15 or 18 months...crazy.

After waiting for 1.5 hours under the shade of a bus shelter...let me tell you this was killer hot! We were picked up by the mini bus and met some new tour people. Man what a bunch of complainers! So whiny. I guess it didn't help that the train apparently derailed that day and they were not able to ride the train. Jane, one of the main complainers and her friend Karla (who had to mention she was a lawyer at least twice) got the driver to drop us off at the "original JEATH museum...not the crappy one." In my opinion it really wasn't better. Just a bunch of pictures with one line descriptions...no better than the random JEATH museum if you ask me. Too bad they did not have the time to check out the Hellfire Pass Museum because they obviously had a lot more funding and had an excellent display with a film too! Oh well.

The rush hour traffic back to Bangkok was pretty bad and we ended up getting back about an hour late at 7:30. But that is okay because Claire's tour was back even later and we were still able to meet up for dinner. I can't believe we talked the night away...all good though. 😊


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb