... and so it comes to an end!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Pai
June 28th 2008
Published: July 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So got the train up to Hat Yai(Thailand) in my 'luxury' sleeper. Was pretty excited for all of half an hour, but really nice to be able to lie down, wander around etc. Arrived in Hat Yai the following morning after the very quick border formalities. So booked another train for a couple of hours later to Bangkok. Gazing out of the window at all the rice fields and lots of lotus ponds. Nice and cheap in Thailand so had a couple of Chang's to pass the time. Soon came down the sleepers so into bed. Arrived in Bangkok early next morning. Pretty much missed out every part of Thailand that people would associate with it, in one go. Plan was to go to Northern Thailand and then over to Loas.

In Bangkok changed my flight dates, supposed to fly home on the 6th August now?! A little lacking in the motivation to actually move and see something else! After a couple of days wandering around Khoa San Road, buying books, reading, writing etc. got an overnight bus up to Chang Mai. Met an Italian guy called Emanuele, and spent the next couple of days wandering round looking at temples and watching Euro 2008. Hired a motorbike/scooter for a day and went off out of town to Doi Suthep temple. And no wasn't driving the bike, was scary enough sitting on the back clinging on for dear life! Really lovely drive out of town up into the surrounding mountains. First stop Doi Suthep, amazing temple, so many Buddhas and so much gold. Got blessed by a monk with some water, pretty refreshing as it was boiling! Also really clear views over Chang Mai.

Decided to carry on past the temple and went to a little hill tribe village. Lots of market stalls and took a wander around, visiting a waterfall with some very well kept gardens surrounding it. Interesting to see the traditional houses, reminded me of the people living in the mountains in South America.

Organised myself onto a meditation retreat for three days, which was very relaxing. Up at 5am for yoga and meditation, and then more meditation seperated my meals and the odd discussion. Felt alot better afterwards but still not that motivated so was thinking of coming home earlier.

Met up with Emanuele again after the retreat for one more night on the
View on the way up to Doi SuthepView on the way up to Doi SuthepView on the way up to Doi Suthep

looking good in the helmet...liked wearing it...simple things!
tour in Chang Mai with another Euro match to watch. Next day got a minivan up to Pai. Really haven't done anything at in Pai the last 4 days, read, write, drink, eat, use the internet and wander around. Very relaxing place and have never seen so many dreadlocks in one place. Although everyone raves about it, it is just a big tourist fest - lots of cafes, bars, internet place etc, but definitely worth a visit and the surrounding mountains are lovely.

After much thinking and numerous calls to the airlines, have decided to change all my dates again, lacking money and motivation have decided to call it a day, save the rest for another adventure! So taking an overnight bus to Bangkok tonight, few hours to do some shopping tomorrow and then flying to Mumbai. Connecting flight to Heathrow a few hours later, arriving back on 4th...of July!!!!!! Also as I lost my phone in the Bolivian incident, will need to get a new sim but will be in touch as soon as I can and hopefully will see you all soon!

So guess this is me signing off for the last time, hope you've enjoyed
Golden StuppaGolden StuppaGolden Stuppa

Doi Suthep
the ride and thanks to everyone for keeping up to date with what I've been up to and for all your support and the generally funny messages! So until next time....


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Emerald BuddhaEmerald Buddha
Emerald Buddha

Doi Suthep
View over Chang MaiView over Chang Mai
View over Chang Mai

View down from Doi Suthep
BellsBells
Bells

Doi Suthep
Hill tribe house Hill tribe house
Hill tribe house

...further through the village
Nice flowerNice flower
Nice flower

Garden in the hills, just like the picture
Wat Suan DokWat Suan Dok
Wat Suan Dok

meeting at the temple before the retreat


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb