Background: A unified Thai kingdom was established in the mid-14th century. Known as Siam until 1939, Thailand is the only Southeast Asian country never to have been taken over by a European power. A bloodless revolution in 1932 led to a constitutional monarchy. In alliance with Japan during World War II, Thailand became a US ally following the conflict. Thailand is currently facing armed violence in its three Muslim-majority southernmost provinces.
Blogs from Chonburi
Latest Blogs from Chonburi
- November 28th 2012 Culture Shock in Thailand
by Words: 549 Photos: 0
- January 11th 2012 Children's Day!
by Words: 559 Photos: 8
- January 5th 2012 Bangkok to Chonburi (Chone-bur-ee)
by Words: 448 Photos: 7
- January 19th 2010 Entry 2 Food and Driving in Thailand
by Words: 604 Photos: 0
- June 14th 2009 A Quick Tour Around Chonburi Province (Day 10)
by Words: 85 Photos: 20
- February 28th 2009 Country-western bars and karaoke in C-buri
by Words: 725 Photos: 9
- February 27th 2009 Saying goodbye to students is never fun!
by Words: 426 Photos: 12
- February 25th 2009 Some reflections on the education system here
by Words: 1249 Photos: 2
- February 23rd 2009 "Easy, tiger" is not a direct translation of "jai yen yen na"
by Words: 841 Photos: 0
- February 23rd 2009 Clamoring for stickers
by Words: 467 Photos: 1
- February 16th 2009 Girls' Valentine's weekend à trois in Chonburi
by Words: 694 Photos: 16
- February 13th 2009 Getting ready to bid farewell to C-buri
by Words: 283 Photos: 4
- February 5th 2009 The international language of aerobics: nung, song, saam, MAMBO!
by Words: 198 Photos: 0
- January 27th 2009 Chonburi Street Aerobics
by Words: 370 Photos: 3
- January 20th 2009 Maybe teacher was an elephant in her past life . . .
by Words: 467 Photos: 6
- January 9th 2009 Children's Day at Suaree School
by Words: 586 Photos: 19
- January 6th 2009 Why can't I 'wai?'
by Words: 332 Photos: 1
- January 5th 2009 More presents! Can vegetarians eat bird nest health supplement?
by Words: 433 Photos: 2
- December 30th 2008 The most cacophonous of all nights
by Words: 631 Photos: 13
- December 24th 2008 Battling the Christmas blues
by Words: 899 Photos: 2