Background: Korea was an independent kingdom under Chinese suzerainty for most of the past millennium. Following its victory in the Russo-Japanese War in 1905, Japan occupied Korea; five years later it formally annexed the entire peninsula. After World War II, a republic was set up in the southern half of the Korean Peninsula while a Communist-style government was installed in the north. During the Korean War (1950-53), US and other UN forces intervened to defend South Korea from North Korean attacks supported by the Chinese. An armistice was signed in 1953, splitting the peninsula along a demilitarized zone at about the 38th parallel. Thereafter, South Korea achieved rapid economic growth with per capita income rising to roughly 14 times the level of North Korea. In 1987, South Korean voters elected ROH Tae-woo to the presidency, ending 26 years of military dictatorships. South Korea today is a fully functioning modern democracy. In June 2000, a historic first North-South summit took place between the South's President KIM Tae-chung and the North's leader KIM Jong Il.
Blogs from Sokcho
Latest Blogs from Sokcho
- November 14th 2012 Camping weekend in Seoraksan National Park!
by Words: 1336 Photos: 22
- September 13th 2011 Everything is better in Sokcho: One year later.
by Words: 2687 Photos: 14
- June 30th 2011 Sokcho - Time for a bit of trekking
by Words: 830 Photos: 16
- June 12th 2011 Seoraksan
by Words: 690 Photos: 8
- July 27th 2009 Sokcho Development
by Words: 889 Photos: 32
- May 5th 2009 Sokcho Beach
by Words: 236 Photos: 5
- May 3rd 2009 Seoraksan in the dry season
by Words: 748 Photos: 6
- October 26th 2008 My last day in Korea and the Start of the Russian Adventure
by Words: 139 Photos: 0
- September 22nd 2008 Seoraksan
by Words: 29 Photos: 40
- June 15th 2008 Sokcho Weekend
by Words: 25 Photos: 10
- June 4th 2008 Seoraksan
by Words: 1271 Photos: 11
- October 14th 2007 KFC delivers to the beach!!
by Words: 560 Photos: 7
- October 14th 2007 Waterpia!!
by Words: 539 Photos: 6
- June 20th 2007 Sok'Cho & Sorak-san Mountain
by Words: 345 Photos: 24
- May 8th 2007 mein erster Ausflug in Suedkorea
by Words: 213 Photos: 22
- February 26th 2007 Korean Highlights
by Words: 814 Photos: 42
- November 7th 2006 Sokcho
by Words: 247 Photos: 0
- November 4th 2006 Leonardo DeCaprio in Seorakson & the Karioke Kings!
by Words: 710 Photos: 18
- April 29th 2006 "Backpacking" in Seoraksan National Park
by Words: 2256 Photos: 21