Background: Korea was an independent kingdom under Chinese suzerainty for most of the past millennium. Following its victory in the Russo-Japanese War in 1905, Japan occupied Korea; five years later it formally annexed the entire peninsula. After World War II, a republic was set up in the southern half of the Korean Peninsula while a Communist-style government was installed in the north. During the Korean War (1950-53), US and other UN forces intervened to defend South Korea from North Korean attacks supported by the Chinese. An armistice was signed in 1953, splitting the peninsula along a demilitarized zone at about the 38th parallel. Thereafter, South Korea achieved rapid economic growth with per capita income rising to roughly 14 times the level of North Korea. In 1987, South Korean voters elected ROH Tae-woo to the presidency, ending 26 years of military dictatorships. South Korea today is a fully functioning modern democracy. In June 2000, a historic first North-South summit took place between the South's President KIM Tae-chung and the North's leader KIM Jong Il.
Photos from Changwon
Blogs from Changwon
Latest Blogs from Changwon
- April 28th 2011 Jinhae Cherry Blossom Festival
by Words: 528 Photos: 18
- January 9th 2011 annyeong hi gyeseyo Korea.....it's been fun
by Words: 190 Photos: 8
- October 18th 2010 nothing too exciting...really though
by Words: 102 Photos: 3
- November 29th 2009 My second hand gun shooting with my bro!
by Words: 381 Photos: 24
- May 20th 2009 Korean Superloo
by Words: 737 Photos: 0
- May 20th 2009 Fane, signatures and the arse rocket
by Words: 1134 Photos: 0
- May 20th 2009 Sports day
by Words: 544 Photos: 0
- April 20th 2008 So long and thanks for all the kimchi - A Year in South Korea
by Words: 1884 Photos: 46
- December 5th 2007 New Job!
by Words: 1010 Photos: 11
- August 22nd 2007 Climbing the Mountain
by Words: 336 Photos: 5
- August 18th 2007 I Have Arrived!!
by Words: 554 Photos: 2
- July 14th 2007 riding of the horse and other adventures
by Words: 1303 Photos: 38
- May 24th 2007 Buddha's Birthday, Etiquette Bells and Octopus
by Words: 1061 Photos: 12
- May 23rd 2007 Palyongdong, Changwon, South Korea - Our New Home
by Words: 223 Photos: 7