A quick stopover in Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
January 8th 2007
Published: January 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Singapore by bus, wandered cautiously through the strict border control and made it through customs without losing our 50 pirate DVDs, Caroline's bag of medication and a few huge half empty duty-free size bottles of alcohol. We made our way to the 'Little India' part of the city - mainly because it's the most easy on the wallet place to stay. It also allowed us to dig into some delicious Indian food again. For the rest of the first day we had a quick look round the surrounding areas.

The following day we headed out into the city, via the metro. As we walked along the streets, the heat and humidity was tough, and we found shelter in an air conditioned shopping mall. After regaining our energy we made our way back out on the street and carried on walking. We were on Orchard Road, an entire street lined with huge shopping malls. Just what I bloody love! And torture for Caroline given that everything was ridicously expensive. So luckily for me, we soon left. For the rest of the afternoon we explored any 'non-shopping' parts of the city we could find (not much!!)

Final day we tried to get ourselves prepared for our evening flight. Across the road from where we were staying was Siam Square shopping centre. A whole building full of electronic shops and apparently packed full of bargains. And since I managed to sit on my camera and break it I headed over to try and bag myself a new one. Every shop offered a different price - some to good to be true. Every shop assistant tried to get me to buy their recommendation (those they couldn't sell). When I refused and told them the one I wanted they came up with some crap about no warranties?? Anyway, it was so frustrating trying to get what I actually wanted that I gave and left.

We arrived at the airport with plenty of time to spare given that our flight was just after midnight. Checking in 4 hours before our flight would surely mean no problems? Nope. The flight was overbooked, and thanks to the idiot guy on the desk who didn't know what the hell he was doing we were left standing at the desk for well over an hour. In the end his manager came over and tried to get us to change on to a flight to Melbourne and then an internal flight to Sydney. For this we would get upgraded to Business Class and given $1000 Singapore dollars. We couldn't say no!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



21st January 2007

Singapore
Hi there thanks for your latest blog. It sounds as though you enjoyed Singapore. It must have been torture for you Caroline with all those shops and I can imagine how much you will have enjoyed it Chris!!! did you manage to go in to the Raffles hotel and sample a Singapore Sling? I hope you manage to get a new camera because your photographs have been fantastic to see. I hope you are enjoying Oz. Look forward to your next installment. Love you loads Mumxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb