Singapore....a must!


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Singapore Harbour
January 2nd 2011
Published: January 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

2 flights later, we arrived in Singapore. Got the underground to the city and made our way to Rodney and Roisins house. It was pretty late so we just had a wee tour of the house and facilities which were top notch, chatted for a while and then hit the pit!

So we had a few ideas of what we wanted to do and see but then we were bombarded with ideas from Roisin and Rodney! We decided to spend (30th Dec) our 1st day on Orchard Road, which is the main shopping district in Singapore. We were walking around for about 12 hours straight. We went to shopping centre after shopping centre. Of course had a few coffee breaks! To be honest, shopping in Singapore would make you green with envy because there are so many of the expensive brands i.e Louis Vutton, Prada, Gucci, Cartier etc and so many people shopping in these shops! Once we got fed up shopping we headed for Raffles Hotel for Singapore Slings. Raffles is a really up-market posh hotel, we know because 2 cocktails cost us 25 pound! But hey, we enjoyed it! After that we headed to the cinema to see Little Fockers followed by dinner and then back to the condo!

New Years eve, we headed to Singapore Zoo bright and early. It was very good but our legs were suffering from our longday the day before. We spent several hours walking around looking at all the different animals. Its so much better than Dublin or Belfast Zoo! We came back after lunch to the Condo and had a lie down because we had a big night ahead of us! Around 8pm, we went for dinner and then got the underground to the Marina Bay. It was our first time in this area so it was really exciting! We arrived about 10pm, walked around the busy Marina and found our seat! We were in the second row and we sat and waited. There was music, fire dancers and light shows right up until the countdown. About 11.45, the thousands of people that were present all stood up, started cheering etc. Eventually the countdown started, 3,2,1.....the fireworks began. They were absolutely amazing! They lasted for about 8 minutes and it was something we have never witnessed before! We left around 12.20 and headed for the underground. It took about 90 minutes to get back beacuse of the crowds. Last year they estimated 250,000 people attended this event so i'm sure it was around the same this year!

Exhausted, Saturday morning (New Years Day), we headed for breakfast with the 3 Watters and it was very tasty! Peter and I then headed to the Botantic Gardens and to the Singapore Orchid Gardens. It was lovely but so much walking! That evening, we went to a Japenese restaurant with Roisin, Rodney and Elise and had our first experience of Japenese cuisine. It was really tasty!! Followed by icecream at a parlour....
Today, we went to Clarke Quayand walked right round to the Marina, which again was such a long walk but there was so much to look at! The buildings are pretty and the hotels are nice and it was very relaxing! Unfortunately, we had to rush back to collect our luggage and go for the airport, we were off to Kuala Lumpur. However, we will fly back for one more night before we fly to Australia so we are both looking forward to that! Singapore was so amazing, we enjoyed every second and would highly recommend it!



Additional photos below
Photos: 213, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb