Background: The Philippine Islands became a Spanish colony during the 16th century; they were ceded to the US in 1898 following the Spanish-American War. In 1935 the Philippines became a self-governing commonwealth. Manuel QUEZON was elected President and was tasked with preparing the country for independence after a 10-year transition. In 1942 the islands fell under Japanese occupation during WWII, and US forces and Filipinos fought together during 1944-45 to regain control. On 4 July 1946 the Philippines attained their independence. The 21-year rule of Ferdinand MARCOS ended in 1986, when a widespread popular rebellion forced him into exile and installed Corazon AQUINO as president. Her presidency was hampered by several coup attempts, which prevented a return to full political stability and economic development. Fidel RAMOS was elected president in 1992 and his administration was marked by greater stability and progress on economic reforms. In 1992, the US closed its last military bases on the islands. Joseph ESTRADA was elected president in 1998, but was succeeded by his vice-president, Gloria MACAPAGAL-ARROYO, in January 2001 after ESTRADA's stormy impeachment trial on corruption charges broke down and widespread demonstrations led to his ouster. MACAPAGAL-ARROYO was elected to a six-year term in May 2004. The Philippine Government faces threats from armed communist insurgencies and from Muslim separatists in the south.
Photos from Negros
Blogs from Negros
Latest Blogs from Negros
- April 22nd 2013 Philippines
by Words: 895 Photos: 34
- February 21st 2013 Almost Summertime.
by Words: 1145 Photos: 38
- February 17th 2013 Would a beach by any other name be so sweet . . .
by Words: 1036 Photos: 32
- February 17th 2013 Negros, and our weeklong hideout at Sugar Beach, Sipalay
by Words: 976 Photos: 36
- February 13th 2013 Swimming with Turtles on Apo island...just another normal day!
by Words: 1433 Photos: 33
- February 1st 2013 Snorkelling Shark Soup...
by Words: 1647 Photos: 20
- January 26th 2013 The Sweetest of Beaches..
by Words: 1774 Photos: 59
- November 28th 2012 An absolute fabulous ride down from Cebu City
by Words: 1062 Photos: 5
- July 24th 2012 Fun under the sun
by Words: 358 Photos: 21
- April 6th 2012 Von Angeles nach Palawan
by Words: 4588 Photos: 24
- March 20th 2012 The Ruins of Lacson Mansion History- Talisay Bacolod
by Words: 525 Photos: 1
- March 2nd 2012 Backpacking Negros Alone
by Words: 1218 Photos: 0
- February 22nd 2012 Miag-ao Church Iloilo
by Words: 587 Photos: 1
- February 21st 2012 Manokan Country-Bacolod
by Words: 169 Photos: 1
- October 15th 2011 Trading in our sarongs on white sand for a cardboard bed was UNPLANNED! (One hell of a ride to Palawan)
by Words: 3190 Photos: 20
- September 28th 2011 Typhoon Nesat gave us its best shot, drenching all that we've got!
by Words: 3964 Photos: 41
- September 20th 2011 So much to do in Dumaguete
by Words: 1568 Photos: 0
- August 23rd 2011 Dreamin' of Bacolod's MassKara Festival
by Words: 200 Photos: 1
- August 8th 2011 Relaxing in the Philippines
by Words: 537 Photos: 35
- May 19th 2011 SHORT STAY AT SULU SUNSET
by Words: 2433 Photos: 19