Background: The Philippine Islands became a Spanish colony during the 16th century; they were ceded to the US in 1898 following the Spanish-American War. In 1935 the Philippines became a self-governing commonwealth. Manuel QUEZON was elected President and was tasked with preparing the country for independence after a 10-year transition. In 1942 the islands fell under Japanese occupation during WWII, and US forces and Filipinos fought together during 1944-45 to regain control. On 4 July 1946 the Philippines attained their independence. The 21-year rule of Ferdinand MARCOS ended in 1986, when a widespread popular rebellion forced him into exile and installed Corazon AQUINO as president. Her presidency was hampered by several coup attempts, which prevented a return to full political stability and economic development. Fidel RAMOS was elected president in 1992 and his administration was marked by greater stability and progress on economic reforms. In 1992, the US closed its last military bases on the islands. Joseph ESTRADA was elected president in 1998, but was succeeded by his vice-president, Gloria MACAPAGAL-ARROYO, in January 2001 after ESTRADA's stormy impeachment trial on corruption charges broke down and widespread demonstrations led to his ouster. MACAPAGAL-ARROYO was elected to a six-year term in May 2004. The Philippine Government faces threats from armed communist insurgencies and from Muslim separatists in the south.
Photos from Negros
Blogs from Negros
Latest Blogs from Negros
- November 3rd 2013 ST. MARY MAGDALENE CHURCH OF HINIGARAN
by Words: 451 Photos: 10
- October 29th 2013 OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE CHURCH, VALLADOLID
by Words: 614 Photos: 18
- October 25th 2013 Bacolod City: The Colors, Sounds and Rhythm of MassKara Festival
by Words: 617 Photos: 33
- October 16th 2013 PFC. THEODORE C. VINTHER
by Words: 1273 Photos: 16
- September 30th 2013 MAMBUKAL RESORT, JUMP OFF POINT TO MT. KANLAON VOLCANO.
by Words: 1436 Photos: 58
- September 24th 2013 JAPANESE SHRINE
by Words: 629 Photos: 20
- September 10th 2013 THE RUINS
by Words: 555 Photos: 17
- September 3rd 2013 THE CHURCH OF THE ANGRY CHRIST
by Words: 1170 Photos: 17
- August 26th 2013 Dumaguete
by Words: 496 Photos: 1
- April 22nd 2013 Philippines
by Words: 895 Photos: 34
- February 21st 2013 Almost Summertime
by Words: 1141 Photos: 38
- February 17th 2013 Would a beach by any other name be so sweet . . .
by Words: 1036 Photos: 32
- February 17th 2013 Negros, and our weeklong hideout at Sugar Beach, Sipalay
by Words: 976 Photos: 36
- February 13th 2013 Swimming with Turtles on Apo island...just another normal day!
by Words: 1433 Photos: 33
- February 1st 2013 Snorkelling Shark Soup...
by Words: 1647 Photos: 20
- January 26th 2013 The Sweetest of Beaches..
by Words: 1774 Photos: 59
- November 28th 2012 An absolute fabulous ride down from Cebu City
by Words: 1062 Photos: 5
- July 24th 2012 Fun under the sun
by Words: 358 Photos: 21
- April 6th 2012 Von Angeles nach Palawan
by Words: 4588 Photos: 24
- March 20th 2012 The Ruins of Lacson Mansion History- Talisay Bacolod
by Words: 525 Photos: 1