Beach Delight in Philippines


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Boracay
June 10th 2007
Published: June 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We did visit more than just Boracay whilst in Philippines, but it was only a day or so in Manila catching up with some friends over dinner (crispy pata, yum!!!) and drinks. Lost my fav baggy trousers during the trip but gained a few scars of sandfly bites for keepsakes in turn...

Boracay is only 7km long and at the widest point, I don't think it was more than 1km broad. Although White Beach is the best known one with good reason, the island also features several other smaller beaches, with Puka beach coming in as a fav with me. The beaches were pristine white with tall coconut trees towering overhead and swaying with the breeze, overlooking the perfectly blue waters. Sunset here, without all the touristy crowds, was exceptionally romantic. It is however, inadvisable to bring back those pretty little puka shells (which gives the beach its name) as there appears to be restriction laws against that.

It seems Koreans make up the bulk of the tourists, clearly indicated by the translated signages all over the island. A massage parlour aimed at this group, gave me one of the best rubdown ever! It was a mixed of swedish, thai and deeptissue treatment for a blissful hour, at just £6!

This cosy parlour is in the middle of Boracay centre, where the stalls had been built over the gorgeous sand of White Beach. There, we also sat down to a seafood feast of lobster, two servings of crab cooked differently, grilled prawns and mussels to name a few. We were so stuffed.

Accommodation wise, our first stop at Alice in Wonderland was disappointing with less than enthusiastic staff and mediocre rooms for a suite. Towels came stained and with holes and requests for replacements went unheard. We swum in their pool the first night but got out when the water felt decidedly slippery. Next morning, we saw a newly put up sign warning against entering the water, how dodgy! Our chances with Butterfly Beach Cottage on Bulabag Beach paid off though. The expatriate owner was helpful and we had a lovely beachfront terraced apartment to ourselves at a very competitive rate (something like 1200PHP a day). We also made fast friends with neighbouring local Anton, who took us out on paddle-boat trips to snorkel with his nephew and then whipped up delicious meals for us - chicken curry, fresh garoupa, breakfast local style, he prepared them all.

If you're willing to explore, Boracay offers beyond just beaches. There are bat caves to check out, fantastic marine life by the surrounding reefs, big rocks to climb and hidden caves to discover. Locals are friendly so get chatting!

Shopping revelation: It seems the best local produce such as dried mangoes are meant to be exported, as opposed to the usual practice found everywhere else to keep the best inhouse...

The one thing that I didn't take to? The airport layout. It had the most unfriendly design I've ever come across. Draw whatever cash you need for the taxes before entering the airport, for they don't announce the fees till you're sort of checked in, at which point the only way to access the cash machine on the floor below is to leave the airport and go through all the security points again upon return.

Nonetheless, Philippines is one heck of a place!



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb