Background: The Philippine Islands became a Spanish colony during the 16th century; they were ceded to the US in 1898 following the Spanish-American War. In 1935 the Philippines became a self-governing commonwealth. Manuel QUEZON was elected President and was tasked with preparing the country for independence after a 10-year transition. In 1942 the islands fell under Japanese occupation during WWII, and US forces and Filipinos fought together during 1944-45 to regain control. On 4 July 1946 the Philippines attained their independence. The 21-year rule of Ferdinand MARCOS ended in 1986, when a widespread popular rebellion forced him into exile and installed Corazon AQUINO as president. Her presidency was hampered by several coup attempts, which prevented a return to full political stability and economic development. Fidel RAMOS was elected president in 1992 and his administration was marked by greater stability and progress on economic reforms. In 1992, the US closed its last military bases on the islands. Joseph ESTRADA was elected president in 1998, but was succeeded by his vice-president, Gloria MACAPAGAL-ARROYO, in January 2001 after ESTRADA's stormy impeachment trial on corruption charges broke down and widespread demonstrations led to his ouster. MACAPAGAL-ARROYO was elected to a six-year term in May 2004. The Philippine Government faces threats from armed communist insurgencies and from Muslim separatists in the south.
Photos from Boracay
Blogs from Boracay
Latest Blogs from Boracay
- January 7th 2014 Unplanned Boracay Adventure
by Words: 85 Photos: 10
- June 3rd 2013 The sick Holly
by Words: 87 Photos: 0
- June 2nd 2013 The Philippines - Boracay (White Beach) - The Visayas Islands
by Words: 2897 Photos: 30
- May 31st 2013 We're alive!
by Words: 265 Photos: 5
- May 7th 2013 Melon and Michelle say hello to Hong Kong, Philippines and Singapore
by Words: 528 Photos: 9
- April 11th 2013 Philippines
by Words: 2658 Photos: 38
- March 25th 2013 More sun, sea,sillyness and food April/May 2012
by Words: 725 Photos: 9
- March 7th 2013 Beautiful from far, but far from beautiful Boracay
by Words: 1482 Photos: 24
- February 26th 2013 Boracay!
by Words: 1821 Photos: 14
- February 21st 2013 All good things must come to an end - but Philippines, this isn't our final goodbye
by Words: 2470 Photos: 12
- January 28th 2013 Boracay wedding
by Words: 1213 Photos: 140
- December 7th 2012 Typhoon Bopha disrupts the tour
by Words: 1360 Photos: 5
- November 4th 2012 It's more fun in the Philippines!
by Words: 3780 Photos: 67
- June 27th 2012 Let's be frank. We were not impressed by Boracay!
by Words: 721 Photos: 18
- April 21st 2012 Overloading.... It's more fun in the Philippines (sarcasm)
by Words: 3548 Photos: 52
- April 18th 2012 BORACAY ADVENTURE Round 2 (with practical tips)
by Words: 2097 Photos: 0
- April 5th 2012 226-229 ps teksten på bildene har forflyttet seg. Sorry!
by Words: 586 Photos: 28
- April 3rd 2012 ONE OF THE BEST BEACHES IN THE WORLD, " BORACAY ISLAND"
by Words: 1551 Photos: 27
- April 2nd 2012 The Philippines - Manila, Boracay
by Words: 1467 Photos: 13
- March 5th 2012 Warming up part II
by Words: 619 Photos: 18