Budapest in a Blink


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
November 11th 2007
Published: November 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Budapest was both my longest and shortest weekend trip in one. Shortest because it was the least time I'd ever spent exploring a place (one night thanks to the late arrival of my travel bud + one morning) and longest by way of travel for such a nearby weekend destination - absurd flight delays & a Luton airport situation (21 planes landing at the same time explains a 1.5hr q at passport controls) meant that I finally arrived home at 3am after 12hours of commuting. From Budapest to London. How mad is that?! Overall, it was one big waiting game for me. But let's not dwell on the unhappy, for Budapest is a pretty city.

Highlight of trip was Schenyi Thermal Bath cos it snowed our heads as we sought warmth for our bodies from the hot waters. There were 3 pools, 1 with an amusing 'adventure ring' where a powerful current towed us along rapidly in circles (34 deg C) and had spa jets planted all over, another deeper and warmer pool (37 deg C) and 1 rectangular pool where you could actually swim. Despite the freezing cold, it was quite a packed bath and true to the guidebooks, there were men playing chess in the bath!

Sadly I didn't have a lot of time to see much, so I merely plodded along the main high streets, checked out a few of the primary sights and to Castle Hill in old town Buda. The ride in from Chain Bridge was quite impressive and the Fisherman's Bastion on the hills offered a view over the city and the river. Otherwise, the place felt a little more commercialised/touristy than I wd have preferred. We went clubbing in the vicinity of the restaurant we ate at and that was about it really. Wish I had more to share but unfortunately I ran out time to do the place more justice.


Here are my notes from the trip:

Lodging
Akacfa Apartments and Hostels, 7th district Akacfa St, Pest, +36302459516, akacfa@achapartments.hu
Lovely, spacious, almost brand new studio styled in Ikea furnishings, with private terrace overlooking a courtyard. approx GBP 20/nite for a twin private ensuite. Central location, highly recommended. I took a minivan from the airport, 45 mins, GBP 7 and you get dropped off right at the door. The only thing is it leaves when it's full, but you're looking at just 4-5 seats.

Food
Dinner at Luigi Etterem, VI Zichy Jeno Utca 31, 332 9997. Very delicious beef Gulash (this is a soup rather than the stew I've always been led to believe) and massive portions of marrow and pork medallions Hungarian style, served under a heap of potatoes. With sour cherry flavoured drinks and no space for desserts as originally planned, meal came up to 3702 Forint or GBP 10 for two. In Hungary, just look for anywhere that says Etterem if you need a bite.

Try Hungarian sweet white dessert wine. To choose, there is the brand/region followed by type. There are 3 types of sweetness - Furmint, Szamorodni and Aszu in ascending order. This is finally finished with a number from 1-6, which indicates proportion of grapes per aging container and hence intensity. I got Tokai Aszu 5, the most famous. 12 Euros a bottle from duty-free. Went down a surprising treat with sweet and non sweet-toothed alike.

Souvenirs
I thought the chess sets were very attractive and unusual in their representations of the pawn pieces.
The secret boxes were also cute.














Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.034s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb