Background: During the late 18th and 19th centuries, Great Britain established colonies and protectorates in the area of current Malaysia; these were occupied by Japan from 1942 to 1945. In 1948, the British-ruled territories on the Malay Peninsula formed the Federation of Malaya, which became independent in 1957. Malaysia was formed in 1963 when the former British colonies of Singapore and the East Malaysian states of Sabah and Sarawak on the northern coast of Borneo joined the Federation. The first several years of the country's history were marred by Indonesian efforts to control Malaysia, Philippine claims to Sabah, and Singapore's secession from the Federation in 1965.
Photos from Labuan
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Labuan
Latest Blogs from Labuan
- May 6th 2013 Pulau Labuan (5-7 Mar 13)
by Words: 429 Photos: 15
- September 28th 2011 Island hopping
by Words: 430 Photos: 3
- August 26th 2011 The Journey Begins
by Words: 312 Photos: 4
- June 28th 2011 Hello Mister!!
by Words: 2677 Photos: 5
- May 27th 2011 On to third country today!
by Words: 400 Photos: 0
- January 19th 2009 Reise 2008 - 2009
by Words: 2 Photos: 1
- February 1st 2008 Miri, Bandar Seri Bagawan (Brunei) & Pulau Labuan
by Words: 708 Photos: 26
- March 28th 2007 What a hole!
by Words: 387 Photos: 0
- July 19th 2006 The sad truth of commercial diving
by Words: 302 Photos: 0
- March 21st 2006 Malaysiskt skatteparadis
by Words: 361 Photos: 0