Penang and how to be spoilt


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
February 21st 2008
Published: February 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

As I have already said, I never actually want to go to Malaysia but here I am for a second day here and have arrived in Penang.

Facts:
Penang is the second smallest state in Malaysia after Perlis, and the eighth most populous. A resident of Penang is colloquially known as a Penangite...

We have no preconceived ideas of what to expect here as it is really only a mission of pleasantries being that we are visiting Lucy's mothers friends. Tenuous I know but it is free and clean accomodation-Mike likes the sound of free.

Anywhooooooo we take in a variety of sights over the next few days, most of them centred around eating, drinking and window shopping.

Fort Conrwallis was one such attraction that we took in and it can briefly be described as an old star-shaped fort located on the northeastern coast of Penang. is named after the late 18th century Governor-General of Bengal, India. Fort Cornwallis was built by Captain Sir Francis Light after taking possession of the island from the Sultan of Kedah in 1786. This was a short visit as its tooooooooooooooooooooo hot for any great exploation.

Pics to follow.

Penang war museum documents that like other countries during the Second World War, Malaysia (and Penang) suffered greatly. Lives were lost, families were torn apart, homes were razed and food was scarce. For sure, the war left no fond memories for those who suffered through it.

One thing that I found slighly distasteful was the sight of the paintball Battleground. But not just that-there were a million and one James's (Japs) running around playing it!

Now, MMMMMMMMike loves a bit of free scoff when he can get it and thanks to Keith and Margaret we got it in copious amountas but none great er than the Eastern and Oriental Buffet-all you can eat, you name it and its there other than pork, all you can drink etc etc

If you're looking for a charming colonial hotel in Penang and don't mind paying a little more, this place has to be it. Unlike the touristy and characterless hotels that you find in Batu Ferringhi, the E and O has both history and charm. Everthing here brings back mind the past grandeur of the ol' times, the beautifully craved ceiling in the reception, the wood and gold pannelled bar lounge, the Engish tiled floor and the swimming pool area that overlooks the sea. Since it was built in 1885 by the Sarkies brothers, who also ran the legendary Raffles Hotel in Singapore, there are obvious similiarities in architecture and style.

Other nice qualities about this place: 1) Situated in the heart of the City, near the clubbing area; 2) Really nice toilets; 3) Good service, the staff are always impeccably decked in bow ties and pressed suits.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0214s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb