Background: During the late 18th and 19th centuries, Great Britain established colonies and protectorates in the area of current Malaysia; these were occupied by Japan from 1942 to 1945. In 1948, the British-ruled territories on the Malay Peninsula formed the Federation of Malaya, which became independent in 1957. Malaysia was formed in 1963 when the former British colonies of Singapore and the East Malaysian states of Sabah and Sarawak on the northern coast of Borneo joined the Federation. The first several years of the country's history were marred by Indonesian efforts to control Malaysia, Philippine claims to Sabah, and Singapore's secession from the Federation in 1965.
Photos from George Town
Blogs from George Town
Latest Blogs from George Town
- May 21st 2013 Hello again!
by Words: 618 Photos: 2
- May 11th 2013 Botanical Gardens and Afternoon High Tea
by Words: 137 Photos: 59
- May 10th 2013 Finally...time together :-)
by Words: 251 Photos: 31
- May 3rd 2013 The Art of a Colonial Curry...
by Words: 3382 Photos: 65
- April 24th 2013 Malaysia's multitude of faces
by Words: 136 Photos: 83
- March 31st 2013 A Little Fact, A Lot of Fiction
by Words: 1234 Photos: 6
- March 29th 2013 A fuzzy Full Moon Party and the journey to George Town.
by Words: 614 Photos: 0
- March 29th 2013 Getting lost in George Town...
by Words: 443 Photos: 3
- March 26th 2013 Taking the Long Road to Malaysia
by Words: 1346 Photos: 29
- March 20th 2013 Our first taste of Malaysia - and it's delicious!
by Words: 1964 Photos: 45
- February 24th 2013 Singapore and Malaysia
by Words: 358 Photos: 8
- January 30th 2013 Train ride part 2 - Bangkok - Butterworth - Kuala Lumpur - one night in Penang, three days in Malaysia!
by Words: 675 Photos: 17
- January 27th 2013 Photos of things said previously
by Words: 47 Photos: 48
- January 24th 2013 Last day in Penang
by Words: 250 Photos: 0
- January 23rd 2013 Still in Penang
by Words: 473 Photos: 0
- January 17th 2013 Penang - Circle the Island and temples
by Words: 180 Photos: 0
- January 17th 2013 Got to Penang
by Words: 129 Photos: 0
- January 12th 2013 Penang (11-14 Jan 13)
by Words: 348 Photos: 11
- January 11th 2013 Penang
by Words: 2419 Photos: 22
- January 11th 2013 22 is WAY better than 21!
by Words: 996 Photos: 0