Background: The Dutch began to colonize Indonesia in the early 17th century; the islands were occupied by Japan from 1942 to 1945. Indonesia declared its independence after Japan's surrender, but it required four years of intermittent negotiations, recurring hostilities, and UN mediation before the Netherlands agreed to relinquish its colony. Indonesia is the world's largest archipelagic state. Current issues include: alleviating widespread poverty, preventing terrorism, continuing the transition to popularly-elected governments after four decades of authoritarianism, implementing reforms of the banking sector, addressing charges of cronyism and corruption, and holding the military and police accountable for human rights violations. Indonesia has been dealing with armed separatist movements in Aceh and in Papua.
Photos from Mataram
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Mataram
Latest Blogs from Mataram
- February 23rd 2013 The end of chilling.
by Words: 337 Photos: 0
- July 6th 2012 After the Dictator in Indonesia, then what HAPPEN...
by Words: 14994 Photos: 0
- May 24th 2012 This is Lombok.
by Words: 621 Photos: 8
- October 29th 2011 Mall rats
by Words: 610 Photos: 3
- March 30th 2011 Many monkeys, several snakes and one grilled fish.
by Words: 1530 Photos: 0
- April 13th 2009 Ladybugs, Spiderman and 69 turns later..........
by Words: 1458 Photos: 0
- July 18th 2008 Lombok in a day!
by Words: 1432 Photos: 8