Background: The Dutch began to colonize Indonesia in the early 17th century; the islands were occupied by Japan from 1942 to 1945. Indonesia declared its independence after Japan's surrender, but it required four years of intermittent negotiations, recurring hostilities, and UN mediation before the Netherlands agreed to relinquish its colony. Indonesia is the world's largest archipelagic state. Current issues include: alleviating widespread poverty, preventing terrorism, continuing the transition to popularly-elected governments after four decades of authoritarianism, implementing reforms of the banking sector, addressing charges of cronyism and corruption, and holding the military and police accountable for human rights violations. Indonesia has been dealing with armed separatist movements in Aceh and in Papua.
Photos from Gilli Trawangan
Blogs from Gilli Trawangan
Latest Blogs from Gilli Trawangan
- March 2nd 2014 Scuba day
by Words: 895 Photos: 10
- February 28th 2014 Beautiful Gili Trawangan
by Words: 1030 Photos: 11
- January 12th 2014 Lombok - Gilli T
by Words: 439 Photos: 44
- October 30th 2013 Snorkelling on the Gili Islands
by Words: 147 Photos: 0
- October 29th 2013 Trying New Waterports at Trawangan
by Words: 119 Photos: 0
- October 28th 2013 Seeing Sunset on Gili Trawangan
by Words: 168 Photos: 0
- October 27th 2013 Exploring Gili Trawangan
by Words: 211 Photos: 0
- October 26th 2013 Gili Trawangan
by Words: 161 Photos: 0
- October 18th 2013 Gili Islands for 6 Days
by Words: 298 Photos: 0
- September 24th 2013 Idul Fitri
by Words: 982 Photos: 20
- June 22nd 2013 The day after the night before, overnighting in Bali airport followed by 5 days on the tropical island of Gili Trawangan !!
by Words: 1709 Photos: 19
- June 20th 2013 I'm out of Marmite!
by Words: 1872 Photos: 9
- May 27th 2013 Ending our days on an idyllic island...we don't want to go home!
by Words: 1898 Photos: 69
- March 13th 2013 Diving and drinking piscolas in Gili
by Words: 2042 Photos: 29
- September 17th 2012 Gili Trawangan (02.09.12 - 05.09.12)
by Words: 910 Photos: 9
- August 27th 2012 Gilli Trawangan, das letzte Paradies?
by Words: 3678 Photos: 30
- August 9th 2012 Gili Trawangan
by Words: 1406 Photos: 6
- August 6th 2012 One Month
by Words: 446 Photos: 0
- July 22nd 2012 The best of island living in the Gili Islands!
by Words: 1979 Photos: 80
- July 19th 2012 SCUBA Update: Padang Bai, Tulamben, and Gili Trawangan
by Words: 1184 Photos: 28