Background: The Indus Valley civilization, one of the oldest in the world, dates back at least 5,000 years. Aryan tribes from the northwest invaded about 1500 B.C.; their merger with the earlier Dravidian inhabitants created the classical Indian culture. Arab incursions starting in the 8th century and Turkish in the 12th were followed by those of European traders, beginning in the late 15th century. By the 19th century, Britain had assumed political control of virtually all Indian lands. Indian armed forces in the British army played a vital role in both World Wars. Nonviolent resistance to British colonialism led by Mohandas GANDHI and Jawaharlal NEHRU brought independence in 1947. The subcontinent was divided into the secular state of India and the smaller Muslim state of Pakistan. A third war between the two countries in 1971 resulted in East Pakistan becoming the separate nation of Bangladesh. Despite impressive gains in economic investment and output, India faces pressing problems such as the ongoing dispute with Pakistan over Kashmir, massive overpopulation, environmental degradation, extensive poverty, and ethnic and religious strife.
Photos from Shillong
Blogs from Shillong
Latest Blogs from Shillong
- March 25th 2013 Mom of twins flying solo: How I prepared my twins for a 48 hour journey!
by Words: 220 Photos: 1
- March 24th 2013 Around the World with Twin Toddlers! Arrived without luggage.
by Words: 555 Photos: 1
- May 28th 2012 IN SEARCH OF MY ROOTS - ROAD TRIP TO WAR JAINTIA
by Words: 3144 Photos: 9
- May 6th 2012 SHILLONG VIGNETTES - NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH
by Words: 1321 Photos: 0
- April 29th 2012 O Polynesian Paradise
by Words: 1664 Photos: 9
- April 19th 2012 Archery, Gambling, & Betel Nuts in Shillong
by Words: 406 Photos: 16
- March 30th 2012 Trip to Shillong (The Scotland of Eastern India)
by Words: 974 Photos: 30
- September 19th 2011 shillong - the road less travelled
by Words: 817 Photos: 50
- December 21st 2009 Meghalaya
by Words: 77 Photos: 0
- November 14th 2008 Ruhe im Wald an einem See: 15. -16. NOV. 2008
by Words: 192 Photos: 0
- April 22nd 2008 Siat Knam
by Words: 217 Photos: 6
- April 22nd 2008 The India Chronicles ( Dehli- Guwahati- Shillong- Delhi- Mumbai- London- Copenhagen- Oslo )
by Words: 3921 Photos: 1
- April 21st 2008 Shillong, Meghalaya State
by Words: 240 Photos: 4
- December 15th 2007 Lessons in Happiness
by Words: 3866 Photos: 73
- November 3rd 2007 SHILLONG GAMBLING ARCHERY SPORT
by Words: 608 Photos: 16
- September 19th 2007 Hello from "Scotland of the East'!
by Words: 568 Photos: 0
- June 7th 2007 Forgotten paradise...
by Words: 442 Photos: 0
- April 8th 2007 I was lost but now I've found...
by Words: 1338 Photos: 5
- April 2nd 2007 From the East of Scotland to "Scotland of the East"
by Words: 4328 Photos: 24
- January 24th 2006 Meghalaya - Shillong
by Words: 649 Photos: 3