Shillong, Meghalaya State


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Meghalaya » Shillong
April 21st 2008
Published: April 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Guwahati to Shillong

A very twisty road. Some days later we met a guy on a train who had crashed his motorcycle on this road - he had a lot of surgery in Bombay and a lot of pins in his legs but he was keen to ride again

Mushroom sellerMushroom sellerMushroom seller

Mushroom seller
Shillong is high in the hills of Megahalaya. In fact, almost from the moment our shared Sumo ( a model of 4wheel drive about the size of a Toyota Landcruiser) started out from Guwahati, we climbed slowl, continuously up a very winding and crowded road. Along the way we passed through heavy rain and hail - not uncommon, so it was just as well we were not motorcycling as originally planned!!
Shillong was the capital of Assam state when it encompassed all the "seven sister states" that now make up the North east of India. So it is full of pieces of British colonial legacy: lots of army camps (with manicured gardens), schools, Christians, and churches, and other interesting pieces of architecture. Many of the old houses seem to be part brick, and part wattle and daub construction, in a fairly standard form. However many of these are decaying, and cement cube-shaped houses/hotels etc seem to be swamping the place.
Every building seems to be in some state of decay or construction...perhaps this reflects the Indian familiarity with the impermanence of things, or perhaps it's just a matter of a developing country dealing with growth and a growing population.
Many of
Edible fungusEdible fungusEdible fungus

Edible fungus
the locals belong to the Khasi tribe...and older women wear the traditional long dress, long pinafore, and shawl. But globalisation is here too, and all young women wear either saris, or more often, western jeans and tops .



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



9th February 2009

Jim, Hello there ... we are getting ready to go to Shillong in about 2 1/2 weeks. What can you tell me about the food, the safety, the transportation ...etc. We have lived in Africa for the last 2 years so accustomed to a lot of things that mist might not. However, you know first hand experience is the best. Thanks. Shasta
23rd February 2009

Shillong safety and food..
Hi Shasta..well it's been almost a year...things change quickly..but we felt perfectly safe there, and the food was fine, although I wouldn't say it was stunning, either. Finding accommodation was a hassle - there just seemed to be a shortage generally. It is a nice place and the locals were really friendly. Bo a google for "shillong" and "news" to get an update on any current issues that might have a security impact...and just keep checking local papers while you're in the North East and you should be fine. Try for Arunachal if you can while there - it's brilliant!
29th May 2009

Re: mushroom suppliers
Hi Hsieh Hsiang Chee. I'm from Shillong. I can probably get you a mushroom supplier if you're really interested. Where are you based? Please post your email address here if you want to be contacted further... if Jim has no objections, that is .^_^. Hope you don't mind, Jim. Just trying to help out a fellow mushroom-connoisseur.
30th April 2010

Meghalaya - Where the rain never stops
Check this Meghalaya related travel article also... Meghalaya - Where the rain never stops

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb