Background: The Indus Valley civilization, one of the oldest in the world, dates back at least 5,000 years. Aryan tribes from the northwest invaded about 1500 B.C.; their merger with the earlier Dravidian inhabitants created the classical Indian culture. Arab incursions starting in the 8th century and Turkish in the 12th were followed by those of European traders, beginning in the late 15th century. By the 19th century, Britain had assumed political control of virtually all Indian lands. Indian armed forces in the British army played a vital role in both World Wars. Nonviolent resistance to British colonialism led by Mohandas GANDHI and Jawaharlal NEHRU brought independence in 1947. The subcontinent was divided into the secular state of India and the smaller Muslim state of Pakistan. A third war between the two countries in 1971 resulted in East Pakistan becoming the separate nation of Bangladesh. Despite impressive gains in economic investment and output, India faces pressing problems such as the ongoing dispute with Pakistan over Kashmir, massive overpopulation, environmental degradation, extensive poverty, and ethnic and religious strife.
Photos from Bodh Gaya
Blogs from Bodh Gaya
Latest Blogs from Bodh Gaya
- May 20th 2013 Bodhgaya
by Words: 3160 Photos: 18
- February 22nd 2013 Sarnath & Bodh Gaya
by Words: 757 Photos: 10
- October 20th 2012 Pre-Pilgrimage
by Words: 2309 Photos: 11
- January 25th 2012 Joe Blogs - Off The Grid 24°41′N 84°59′E
by Words: 89 Photos: 0
- January 1st 2012 32nd Annual Kalachakra
by Words: 806 Photos: 42
- December 31st 2011 Bodhgaya
by Words: 2573 Photos: 86
- March 2nd 2011 Vipassana in Bodh Gaya
by Words: 3486 Photos: 0
- November 23rd 2010 verkehrte welt
by Words: 63 Photos: 15
- October 21st 2010 bodhgaya
by Words: 107 Photos: 11
- September 28th 2010 Ommmm...
by Words: 156 Photos: 72
- July 29th 2010 Around Bodhgaya
by Words: 614 Photos: 5
- July 26th 2010 Mahabodhi
by Words: 214 Photos: 2
- July 24th 2010 Beautiful Bihar
by Words: 527 Photos: 2
- July 1st 2010 Another Bihar blog
by Words: 509 Photos: 0
- May 26th 2010 The birth place of Buddha
by Words: 215 Photos: 12
- January 15th 2010 Nepal here I come!
by Words: 311 Photos: 0
- January 12th 2010 Dalai Lama, Animal Activism...and Richard Gere!
by Words: 993 Photos: 13
- January 3rd 2010 And here Buddha gained enlightenment!
by Words: 1075 Photos: 32
- December 6th 2009 namaste, bodhgaya!
by Words: 627 Photos: 36
- November 27th 2009 Bodhgaya
by Words: 666 Photos: 0