Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Shaoxing
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Shaoxing
Latest Blogs from Shaoxing
- May 17th 2011 Be good, get good or give up!
by Words: 987 Photos: 37
- May 4th 2011 Shaoxing, May Day Madness and Brie!
by Words: 1000 Photos: 50
- May 4th 2010 Trip to Shaoxing
by Words: 730 Photos: 53
- January 29th 2010 CHAPTER 21-LAST DAYS SHAOXING AREA-CHINA
by Words: 197 Photos: 54
- January 25th 2010 CHAPTER 20-ANCHANG- WATER TOWN - DRYING CLOTHES AND FOOD
by Words: 148 Photos: 79
- January 18th 2010 CHAPTER 18-MORE SHAOXING
by Words: 313 Photos: 92
- November 1st 2009 Last Day
by Words: 403 Photos: 0
- October 31st 2009 Happy Halloween!
by Words: 1177 Photos: 0
- October 22nd 2009 Chapter 16-A New Start - Back in China
by Words: 582 Photos: 46
- January 17th 2009 Shaoxing
by Words: 380 Photos: 16
- August 27th 2005 slacken the pace
by Words: 268 Photos: 9