Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Hangzhou
Blogs from Hangzhou
Latest Blogs from Hangzhou
- October 7th 2012 Stone generation epic supreme
by Words: 2394 Photos: 17
- September 19th 2012 Hangzhou
by Words: 633 Photos: 14
- June 28th 2012 Hangzhou_sticky sticky, I will meld...
by Words: 585 Photos: 0
- June 23rd 2012 Farewell FRENZY!!!!
by Words: 549 Photos: 12
- June 22nd 2012 Day Trip to Tonglu
by Words: 178 Photos: 25
- June 18th 2012 Epic Adventures in Hangzhou - June 16-17, 2012
by Words: 1286 Photos: 93
- June 18th 2012 Another Round of KTV
by Words: 335 Photos: 8
- June 15th 2012 WXP Class of 2009 Graduation Activities
by Words: 625 Photos: 50
- June 1st 2012 I've Become a Junkie!!
by Words: 1392 Photos: 6
- May 31st 2012 Field Trip Number 3
by Words: 331 Photos: 8
- May 31st 2012 Such an Enjoyable Capital City to Live In
by Words: 130 Photos: 27
- May 27th 2012 Relaxing, Fun Weekend
by Words: 311 Photos: 0
- May 24th 2012 Frence!
by Words: 425 Photos: 0
- May 23rd 2012 Second Field Trip of China
by Words: 441 Photos: 7
- May 21st 2012 Birthday Birthday!
by Words: 148 Photos: 3
- May 20th 2012 Crazy, Tiring, Expensive Weekend
by Words: 686 Photos: 10
- May 19th 2012 Weekend to Myself
by Words: 154 Photos: 3
- May 18th 2012 Sunrise over the Mountains
by Words: 99 Photos: 4
- May 17th 2012 This is posted once again...
by Words: 856 Photos: 6
- May 3rd 2012 Like Wine, Better with Age
by Words: 464 Photos: 2