Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Pingyao
Blogs from Pingyao
Latest Blogs from Pingyao
- May 31st 2013 From cave dwellings in Lijashan to ancient town of Pingyao - another week, another province, welcome to Shanxi!
by Words: 1543 Photos: 74
- January 23rd 2013 CHINA: Ten New Songs...Party in Pingyao
by Words: 864 Photos: 105
- November 16th 2012 A few days chilling in Pingyao
by Words: 1106 Photos: 3
- October 31st 2012 Arriving in Lucheng
by Words: 659 Photos: 13
- October 29th 2012 A lovely few days in a traditional time-locked town
by Words: 2143 Photos: 55
- October 20th 2012 Chine: proche mais loin du Japon
by Words: 758 Photos: 15
- September 25th 2012 A Step Back in Time
by Words: 381 Photos: 8
- September 12th 2012 Pingyao
by Words: 431 Photos: 11
- September 12th 2012 Nihao China!
by Words: 449 Photos: 0
- September 4th 2012 Fit to be a teacher in China?!
by Words: 71 Photos: 0
- August 30th 2012 The little town inbetween the BIG cities
by Words: 169 Photos: 6
- August 23rd 2012 Pingyao
by Words: 64 Photos: 5
- May 27th 2012 RED RED RED, for you, for me and for the world.
by Words: 997 Photos: 0
- May 26th 2012 Pingyao a place for a day, I will stay 3 :(
by Words: 1032 Photos: 0
- May 26th 2012 A productive, accidental, but a calmly day after all.
by Words: 746 Photos: 0
- May 24th 2012 China
by Words: 991 Photos: 0
- April 7th 2012 Day 8 – Incredible Pingyao
by Words: 167 Photos: 18
- December 2nd 2011 Exactly how we imagined China would look like...
by Words: 1347 Photos: 46
- July 28th 2011 Pingyao via Tiayuan...... Didn't start well but things got better!
by Words: 1265 Photos: 19
- May 18th 2011 La Chine....suite, le Shanxi
by Words: 82 Photos: 24