Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Blogs from Jilin
Latest Blogs from Jilin
- January 20th 2013 BAIHE - the birthplace of Kim Jong Il, dog meat and the most scary shower on this planet
by Words: 601 Photos: 18
- January 18th 2013 CHANGCHUN - traffic jams, the last emperor, world of warcraft and a fake Venice
by Words: 950 Photos: 6
- November 4th 2012 China - Part 7: Cultivating Chi in the Mountains Oct 4-Nov15
by Words: 2237 Photos: 54
- November 4th 2012 Africhinandia - Jeff's travel update from Africa, India, & China
by Words: 402 Photos: 1
- July 28th 2012 Finished...
by Words: 400 Photos: 1
- March 8th 2012 Something to chew on
by Words: 781 Photos: 0
- January 11th 2012 Ice
by Words: 1529 Photos: 0
- December 3rd 2011 Come on teacher, teach me something. Don't just fill my head with nothing....
by Words: 805 Photos: 0
- October 14th 2011 Fevers, days and dates...
by Words: 1379 Photos: 0
- September 8th 2011 A dragon's head and a hard seat....
by Words: 2221 Photos: 0
- August 23rd 2011 A camp
by Words: 688 Photos: 0
- July 8th 2011 China，Jilin Province, rural primary school 明德， 2001年白城支教
by Words: 372 Photos: 25
- December 14th 2010 End is Near
by Words: 131 Photos: 0
- October 17th 2010 Changchun - The Biggest City You've Never Heard Of...
by Words: 2310 Photos: 0
- July 7th 2010 Changchun and Changbaishan (Part 2 of Northeast China Tour)
by Words: 172 Photos: 21
- June 19th 2010 Dumplings with Zheng Family
by Words: 90 Photos: 12
- June 16th 2010 Changbaishan National Park
by Words: 282 Photos: 40
- June 15th 2010 Liaoning and Jilin Province
by Words: 149 Photos: 21
- June 8th 2010 Saved from the dinner table...
by Words: 206 Photos: 1
- May 5th 2010 May Holiday Trip to Harbin
by Words: 1092 Photos: 8