Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Hubei
Blogs from Hubei
Latest Blogs from Hubei
- February 2nd 2014 Trip on tube : China trip (中国) Episode 10 - Wuhan trip (武汉)
by Words: 64 Photos: 0
- January 29th 2014 Getting Ready For My Happy Return and Departure...
by Words: 389 Photos: 6
- December 24th 2013 It's Christmas!
by Words: 439 Photos: 4
- December 13th 2013 Yangtze Cruise -- White Emperor City -- Three Gorges -- Shennong Stream -- October 15,2013
by Words: 214 Photos: 20
- October 28th 2013 Denfeng to Wudang
by Words: 310 Photos: 0
- October 1st 2013 Made in China - Three Gorges Dam and to Shanghai
by Words: 549 Photos: 6
- September 9th 2013 I am trying to be more positive?
by Words: 280 Photos: 0
- July 8th 2013 End off school year, Meili's B-DAY, wait for Visas
by Words: 492 Photos: 12
- May 19th 2013 some new photos
by Words: 12 Photos: 7
- May 4th 2013 A month of surprises!
by Words: 606 Photos: 8
- April 8th 2013 Dam and Blast!
by Words: 1751 Photos: 56
- March 30th 2013 Getting ready for the summer
by Words: 399 Photos: 7
- March 17th 2013 Welcome to The Circumnavigator
by Words: 292 Photos: 0
- December 25th 2012 Two months more of exciting activities
by Words: 307 Photos: 4
- November 14th 2012 Fajita Thursday (Even though it doesn't rhyme, like 'Fajita Friday')
by Words: 271 Photos: 0
- November 1st 2012 House Hunting in Wuhan
by Words: 365 Photos: 17
- October 31st 2012 We Made it to Wuhan
by Words: 849 Photos: 7
- October 10th 2012 China - Three Gorges Yangtze Cruise Oct. 8-10
by Words: 965 Photos: 7
- October 9th 2012 China 1-0 Travelers
by Words: 1695 Photos: 17
- October 3rd 2012 Into October with high hopes
by Words: 322 Photos: 9