Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Wuzhou
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Wuzhou
Latest Blogs from Wuzhou
- November 14th 2007 ees no rat; ees 'amster
by Words: 908 Photos: 8
- July 28th 2007 Oh my God...I can see the sea!
by Words: 433 Photos: 0
- July 27th 2007 Wuzhou a go-go
by Words: 538 Photos: 0
- June 28th 2006 Learning Lessons
by Words: 1169 Photos: 0
- June 28th 2006 Greater Wuzhou
by Words: 836 Photos: 0
- June 22nd 2006 Can you hear me Jebus?
by Words: 861 Photos: 0
- June 15th 2006 yeah, so still in Wuzhou
by Words: 539 Photos: 0
- June 12th 2006 My first wacky week in Wuzhou
by Words: 1141 Photos: 0